Anyone a coyote fanatic here?

belshawelk

I am overrun with coyotes. Kill a few I when see them, but I am no calling or set up master. I can get a couple but I am overrun. Been lucky a few times calling but they are out of control because nobody hunts them around my property. If your around eastern Oregon sometime let me know.

Last edited:
Very hard to control them just by hunting, I'd try to get in contact with a local trapper who's looking to expand and make your place part of his loop. You could contact the Oregon's trapper association ( https://www.oregonta.org/ ) or if you just search Oregon trappers on Facebook, you'll get a bunch of groups pop up and send a message on a few of those and you'll be in contact with somebody before you know it.

I am overrun with coyotes. Kill a few I when see them, but I am no calling or set up master. I can get a couple but I am overrun. Been lucky a few times calling but they are out of control because nobody hunts them around my property. If your around eastern Oregon sometime let me know.
Be careful with that approach. I tried it and all it did was educate the coyotes. Lots of guys like to hunt them but few are real killers. I agree with you though, we had no fawns survive this year.

I am close to Eastern Oregon. I have lots of experience with stacking coyotes. I don’t start hunting them until about November and I would require written permission to hunt them. Vale, Ontario, Nyssa wouldn’t be too far for me. Send me a DM.

Just a word of experience, depending on how much property you have, hunting probably won’t cut the mustard. My uncle got together with a bunch of neighbors and they paid the state trapper to fly their places and take out the coyotes. He killed 45 coyotes in a day, 2 months later they were back in there just as thick. We killed more coyotes that winter than we ever have before.

Just a word of experience, depending on how much property you have, hunting probably won’t cut the mustard. My uncle got together with a bunch of neighbors and they paid the state trapper to fly their places and take out the coyotes. He killed 45 coyotes in a day, 2 months later they were back in there just as thick. We killed more coyotes that winter than we ever have before.

There's some science behind it too. I can't remember the source, but they found that coyotes will fill in the void left by killing a few extremely quickly, you have to cut down on the population in the entire area before a real difference is made.

I used to love coyote calling when I lived in southern Sask. Not nearly as many in northern Sask and the calling usually sucks so I spend a lot more time ice fishing now instead

There's some science behind it too. I can't remember the source, but they found that coyotes will fill in the void left by killing a few extremely quickly, you have to cut down on the population in the entire area before a real difference is made.
The article I read says killing coyotes is usually pointless for the reason you stated, but getting as many as possible in the spring right before fawn season can work because you're getting fawns through that critical time before the coyotes can rebound.

I understand others may come back in. All that means is overall density in the region is temporarily lower. That’s a good thing for wild game. For sure, the dead coyotes, and their hungry bellies, won’t be coming back. So keep adding to that category any way you can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back