Anybody Into Bowfishing?

WestT

I just found out I won a bowfishing trip down in Kentucky. Anyone bowfish on a regular basis? I've seen it on TV but didn't know if anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect. Sounds like a ton of fun thought. Thanks!

I have wanted to give it a try. I think the favorite setup for bowfishing that I have ever seen was a Genesis bow with a bowfishing reel. They max out at 20 pounds though, so it might be a bit limiting. It would be easy to draw fast and get on the fish though. Have fun on your trip.

Also, you will figure it out, but you need to hold low on the fish the way the light refracts. Gloves are good too if you are going to try and grab onto the line with a big fish on the other end.

Bowfishing is the next best thing too Bowhunting! I run the Idaho Bowfishing Association. The state your in night fishing is going too be your best bet with the dirtier water. Here in Idaho most is done during the day, less expense and clear water. It can be done during the day there also if they are sitting on top of the water, get yourself a good pair of Glass, i.e. Spy, Oakley, Costa, etc. for day shooting, for night you will need a good spotlight or a boat that's got some LED's, Halo's, MH, or HPS lights on it with a generator, get a cheap bow at a consignment/archery shop/pawn shop, and go shooting, all you need is a 35# bows, AMS bottle reel or Spin Reel from Muzzy, and a couple of bowfishing arrows, Good luck,
Matt

Bowfishing is a blast. Where are going to in Kentucky? I've heard that below the dams at Kentucky lake is non stop action.

Thanks Duck-slayer for the tips!

JDH - Barkley Lake is all I can tell you. Not sure of any specific locations otherwise.

Back