Anybody else muzzleloader hunting this year

I drew a muzzle loader tag for Oregon Blacktails this year. Late Nov. / early Dec. It has been three years since I have drawn this tag, but I use my stuffer during general rifle season when I don't draw.

it shoots a 3" group at 100 yards which is my personal limit with that gun and load.

I've got two western muzzleloader tags this year. My setup is a CVA Optima .50 shooting 250 grain Thors, which chronos around 1875 FPS over 90 grains by volume of T7. Truly, 100-125 yards is as far as a muzzleloading rifle has any business shooting at a big game animal, IMO... one, it's very tough to hold a heart-sized group with irons past that, and two, the terminal performance starts to get unimpressive really quickly. The long range muzzleloading crowd always gets uncomfortable when it's pointed out that pistol caliber carbines often outperform muzzleloaders at ranges that require scopes.

Sounds like a great hunt that embodies the spirit of blackpowder hunting- hope you have a great trip!

I've got two western muzzleloader tags this year. My setup is a CVA Optima .50 shooting 250 grain Thors, which chronos around 1875 FPS over 90 grains by volume of T7. Truly, 100-125 yards is as far as a muzzleloading rifle has any business shooting at a big game animal, IMO... one, it's very tough to hold a heart-sized group with irons past that, and two, the terminal performance starts to get unimpressive really quickly. The long range muzzleloading crowd always gets uncomfortable when it's pointed out that pistol caliber carbines often outperform muzzleloaders at ranges that require scopes.

Sounds like a great hunt that embodies the spirit of blackpowder hunting- hope you have a great trip!
I love the Thors always used the 300gr for elk but switched to 250gr's this year with sense I'm only after deer and pronghorn. Using 110gr of 777 in my Traditions Pursuit at just over 1900 fps. The peep sight has really increased my accuracy. 20230627_195822.jpg20230117_131637.jpg
First group with the 250gr at 100 yards.

Heck yes, I'm hunting muzzleloader this year. Give me six inches of snow, 30mph wind and single digit temps during the late muzzleloader season and I'm in deer hunting heaven.

I will be hunting for whitetail with my ML a few days before the general rifle season kicks in up in Alabama. ML for two days then four days of hunting there with my 7mm08, then on to Ohio for a week of deer hunting with my 350 Legend. I will gone for about 3 weeks.

I've been hunting our December MZ season here in Michigan since the mid 80's, cap and ball sidelock. Use it a lot in our regular deer season in November when I'm hunting thick woods as well. Like the December season best, still plenty of deer and not as many hunters. Hunt in morning and evening and run traps during the day. Doesn't get much better than that ..... well maybe spring turkey with the 12 gauge barrel!

I'll be hunting in Nevada with a ML this season. The plan is to use the load I worked up a few years ago for elk. 250 grain Thors over BH209.

what can a muzzle loader do that a rifle cant apart from being able to use it in a different season.

what can a muzzle loader do that a rifle cant apart from being able to use it in a different season.
Nobody is hunting with a muzzleloader because it can do more then a rifle. It's about hunting more for 90+% of muzzleloader hunters. Extra seasons with less pressure can make up for the hassle of dealing with one. Another big consideration for many on this site is that muzzleloader tags can be easier to draw in western states then rifle tags at times. My CO antelope tag this year took 2 points to draw with a muzzleloader and 5 points for rifle.

I have never taken a deer with a modern rifle - traditional ML is the way I have spent 90% of my big game (deer, elk) hunting. Drew tags this year - the cataract surgery means I will be able to see. The blown shoulder might kill off the hunt, I have to go to the range and see how many tears I shed after pulling the trigger....

David

I have never taken a deer with a modern rifle - traditional ML is the way I have spent 90% of my big game (deer, elk) hunting. Drew tags this year - the cataract surgery means I will be able to see. The blown shoulder might kill off the hunt, I have to go to the range and see how many tears I shed after pulling the trigger....

David
If you haven't considered this might be worth a try or something similar. I've used the limbsaver model on a rifle and shotgun for youth. download.jpeg-17.jpg

In some states, like Nevada, you cannot use a scope for muzzleloader tags, also, you cannot make anywhere near as quick a follow up shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back