Anybody Else Hunt with the Same Rifle for Half a Century ?

Mustangs Rule

In 1970 I bought myself a college graduation present, a used Belgium Browning Safari grade bolt action 30-06. It cost a fortune, $180. I had to make payments.

It had a 4X Weaver scope on a one piece Redfield base with a flip up adjustable peep sight. To put that amount of money in perspective. Thanks to my favorite President, Dwight Eisenhower and an extension of his 1958 National Education Act, my 4 years of tuition at a state university cost $400 total. Upon graduation I got half back.

That rifle has been with me for 50 years, taking a Desert Ram near the Mexican Border, with me when I lived in Wyoming and on deer hunts in BC Canada.

The stock is highly figured walnut with hand checkering.

Three decades ago I got tired of the POI moving with changing humidity. I had my gunsmith put some thick plastic tape on the thin stepped barrel and then glass bed the barrel channel. With the tape off the barrel was free floating and the stock was weather tight and stabilized. The POI never moved again. My do all load is 165 gr. Barnes TTSX. It shoots under an inch with that same 4x scope.

I once did a double with it on wild boar. First was just under 400 yards and the 2nd just over,,,while running. I blew his brains out.

In 1970 I bought myself a college graduation present, a used Belgium Browning Safari grade bolt action 30-06. It cost a fortune, $180. I had to make payments.

It had a 4X Weaver scope on a one piece Redfield base with a flip up adjustable peep sight. To put that amount of money in perspective. Thanks to my favorite President, Dwight Eisenhower and an extension of his 1958 National Education Act, my 4 years of tuition at a state university cost $400 total. Upon graduation I got half back.

That rifle has been with me for 50 years, taking a Desert Ram near the Mexican Border, with me when I lived in Wyoming and on deer hunts in BC Canada.

Three decades ago I got tired of the POI moving with changing humidity. I had my gunsmith put some thick plastic tape on the thin stepped barrel and then glass bed the barrel channel. With the tape off the barrel was free floating and the stock was weather tight and stabilized. The POI never moved again. My do all load is 165 gr. Barnes TTSX. It shoots under an inch with that same 4x scope.

I once did a double with it on wild boar. First was just under 400 yards and the 2nd just over,,,while running. I blew his brains out.
No picture? You've seen the Springfield Dad sporterized in 1962. I started hunting with it in 1964. That's almost sixty years.20220827_125829.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, Ruger mdl 77; tang safety. .30/06 Bought when I was 13 years old with money made buckin hay. That would have been 1968. She’s always been a shooter.

Attachments

• 99A02B1B-A977-4A5B-8C8A-51FF3E369037.jpeg
    99A02B1B-A977-4A5B-8C8A-51FF3E369037.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 25F0E822-DDD4-4BCD-B23E-B2F15E2BC68E.jpeg
    25F0E822-DDD4-4BCD-B23E-B2F15E2BC68E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
I bought my 700 -06 in 1978, used. Put a Leupold Rifleman 3x9 on it and went hunting.

10 years later I took a hard fall crossing a creek in the Sierra's and put a ding in the scope and a hit on the stock. I checked the sighting and it was fine and took a buck. I sent the scope in and got a new one.
But it started to have fliers and not hold true in humidity changes,like OP.
I tried bedding and other fixes and finally got a Hogue full aluminum bed stock and a Timney trigger after getting the ADL-BDL switch parts.
I assembled it and dialed it in and went hunting. And took a buck and a pig.

Only thing that has changed since is the scope upgrade to a Zeiss Conquest and the ammo has gone from Federal Barnes to Nosler AB 165's
That last change only took 20 rounds to dial in to where it sits now, ready for this year.

The only other hunting rifles I have used since is my old 94' Win. and a TC Omega mz.

Bought a 270 Weatherby Magnum German made in 1965 with money I made working on my parents gun range. Paid $165 for it. Still have the bill of sale. Shot my first animal with it when I was 14. Wyoming antelope. Since then it’s been to Alaska, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, South Africa, and many hunts in Michigan. Next trip in 4 weeks to Colorado. Taken many animals with it. Little scarred up from all the hunts but still gets the job done.

Stationed at FT Lewis, Washington, upon return from Vietnam in 1971, I went to the BX at McChord AFB and purchased a Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag as a "survival " gift to meself. Since then, that trusty 7 REM has taken many antelope, deer, and elk. Recently getting a Cerakote covering, it still is my basic elk go-to rifle.

So OK, here is my "deer" rifle that I bought new in 1968 when I turned 18. Big upgrade from the spears I was using back then. Savage 110C .270 Win that I recently rebarreled with SS Shaw barrel. Even though old walnut stock, it still can shoot pretty darn good with 130BT's at 3050 fps (love RL16 in .270!). Interesting story with this rifle that is nice homage to Savage back then. The first weekend I went hunting, I fell in a covered over dry artesian well hole (thats what it looked like) in the Adirondack Mountains. Cracked stock at the tang. If I wasn't 18 probably broke leg. OMG heartbroken is not even a close description that you can describe a 18 year old kid that saved up to buy the "rifle" for deer hunting. I brought it back to gun shop where I purchased it the following week and as luck would have it, the Savage rep was coming in that week. I left the rifle with expectation of having to pay for new stock and more. Couple weeks go by and I got a call from the gun shop that my rifle was back in. I asked how much and he said come in and will discuss. So grabbed as much cash as I could and went there expecting the worse. Savage was told the story, restocked the rifle with decent walnut stock "No Charge" with comment "go hunting"! I wish I kept that paperwork but as kid it was lost over time.

So 54 years later, I still take it out and look at a walnut stock with a big smile. There are plenty of "character" dings that I can recall where, when and how. Killed this doe at 220 yards couple years ago with 130BT and rifle has so many memories in it that I like to take it out when I can.

2C34E668-A4E8-43C8-8766-AF7247B8217C.jpeg

I'm only 49 so I have a few years to go but I have every intention of sticking with this rifle for as long as I can. Rem 700 in 300 RUM purchased in either '99 or 2000. Love the walnut. Its nothing fancy and has lots of character marks. I have only taken a couple of animals with anything else. If memory serves me right, this was the first animal I took with this gun.
Wyo Bull.jpg

Funny story, I went to NWT on a hunt a few years ago. After landing a base camp one of the guides took all the hunters to the range to check zero. The guide was maybe 19 or 20. As we were walking to the range he asked me what my gun was. I told him its a 300RUM. He said "No what's it made of?" When we got to the range and the other hunters took their guns out of their cases, I quickly figured out why the guide was surprised by a walnut stock. The collection of super high end rifles that the others had was an eye opener. I was definitely out gunned, at least on price tag terms.

I haven't hit half a century myself but i still pack my M77 Ruger in .300 Win Mag that I bought in 1991 as a Junior in High school. Up until 2016 it had the original 2-7 Redfield scope and accounted for 7 elk, 9 deer, a fox, a coyote, couple pigs and two antelope

I confess that I have gotten spoiled with my lighter stainless synthetic rifles. the farther in i go the more they feel like a feather when carried in the field. As I have gotten older and older a little more heavy seems like a lot,,,,when I am in the infantry. In a week I will be in the cavalry. Looks very much like I will have two horses again that soon.

Taking those horses new to me for deer hunting too soon I cannot do. But if all goes well with the four of us,,, Me, My “Half Century Rifle and two savvy mountain horses, well maybe going elk hunting with all four of us is doable.

Some decades back I had a custom saddle scabbard made for that rifle. Other rifles fit it just fine, but that Browning looks so sweet in it.

My first hunt and most easterly hunt with it was in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York.

My most westerly hunt was for Black tailed deer in the Los Padres National Forest along the Big Sur coast. Tied my quarters and threw them in the cold pacific ocean. Chilled and salted my venison at the same time.

Only once did it ever leave me. I loaned it to a Native American close friend whose eyes were getting bad and he had a hard time hunting with his iron sighted Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

What great adventures we had, I learned so much from him. He died of brain cancer. I will miss him forever.

I guess you could name me “Sleeps with Rifle”. Going way back I used to hunt cow elk on dep tags near the Manti in Utah, during the dead of winter when it could get down to 20 below.

I had this custom Cowboy bedroll made up with three of the absolute thickest German surplus wool blankets . I would sleep out in it,,always with my rifle insi

That rifle has outlasted a fiancé, two wives, three dogs and four horses

I would be overjoyed to send a photo of it,,,and even of my Desert Bighorn ram I shot with it,,,but I do not know how to send photos.
I'll see if I can help you with that. Do you have a smart phone or scanner? Most printers these days are also scanners. Private message me with what hardware you have available and I'll try to get you started. To PM me click on my avatar (picture on my label) and you'll be prompted for message.

I'll see if I can help you with that. Do you have a smart phone or scanner? Most printers these days are also scanners. Private message me with what hardware you have available and I'll try to get you started. To PM me click on my avatar (picture on my label) and you'll be prompted for message.
Thank you very much but I do not have a scanner nor do I have a printer. I do have a smart phone which is way smarter than I am.

I live a simple life. I cut my hay by hand with an old scythe from Austria, ted it by hand with a pitch fork from Germany and feed 6 mustangs that are on my property. They belong to a friend who summer pastures them here on high elevation prairie.

My mailbox is about a third of a mile away and last summer when I went out to check the mail one day, i saw a maybe 2 1/2 year old Rocky Mountain Bighorn ram trotting by my mailbox.

I am not very high tech. I do not even have internet. I just barely am able to use my laptop with the mobile hotspot on my cell phone which only works cause I live on the open prairie at the foot of the mountains.

Oh and I really love mustangs.

One of the horses I am getting next week is an 11 year old mustang mare. Thier ears are 40 below in the wind cold proof. They have so much thick hair inside their ears a bird could make a nest there.

Again, I have not the tools or knowhow to send photos. Plus my signal is very weak.

Thank you much for your offer to help. It would be fun to show you guys my half century rifle and shoulder mount of my Desert Ram. That is the only game animal I ever had mounted

Mustangs Rule,,,,me

Thank you very much but I do not have a scanner nor do I have a printer. I do have a smart phone which is way smarter than I am.

I live a simple life. I cut my hay by hand with an old scythe from Austria, ted it by hand with a pitch fork from Germany and feed 6 mustangs that are on my property. They belong to a friend who summer pastures them here on high elevation prairie.

My mailbox is about a third of a mile away and last summer when I went out to check the mail one day, i saw a maybe 2 1/2 year old Rocky Mountain Bighorn ram trotting by my mailbox.

I am not very high tech. I do not even have internet. I just barely am able to use my laptop with the mobile hotspot on my cell phone which only works cause I live on the open prairie at the foot of the mountains.

Oh and I really love mustangs.

One of the horses I am getting next week is an 11 year old mustang mare. Thier ears are 40 below in the wind cold proof. They have so much thick hair inside their ears a bird could make a nest there.

Again, I have not the tools or knowhow to send photos. Plus my signal is very weak.

Thank you much for your offer to help. It would be fun to show you guys my half century rifle and shoulder mount of my Desert Ram. That is the only game animal I ever had mounted

Mustangs Rule,,,,me
You can download photos with a smart phone. Just take a picture of the picture. I can walk you through it. Easy. Write what you want to say about your gun or mount then hit the "Attach files" button below the text window. It will then ask you if you want to use the camera on your phone to photograph the attachment. Click that camera button and your phone goes to camera. Take a picture of your gun or whatever. Then it will ask you if photo is okay. Click yes and it's attached to your message. You won't actually see the photo in your message until you hit "Post reply" button. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

You can download photos with a smart phone. Just take a picture of the picture. I can walk you through it. Easy. Write what you want to say about your gun or mount then hit the "Attach files" button below the text window. It will then ask you if you want to use the camera on your phone to photograph the attachment. Click that camera button and your phone goes to camera. Take a picture of your gun or whatever. Then it will ask you if photo is okay. Click yes and it's attached to your message. You won't actually see the photo in your message until you hit "Post reply" button. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Thank you. I will give a try later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back