Anybody else Hunt with Browning Safari Grade Rifles ?

Mustangs Rule

I am down to just one but over my life had three.

Presently have 3 diget serial number 30-06 mauser action made in Belgium. Had it for 52 years. Took my desert ram with it.

Wore out the barrel on a 243 Browing with a Sako Action made in Finland. Used it for Ground Squirrels and target work

Bought a Belgium made 338 win mag in Alaska, That front screw through the forend had to be just right, then it shot great.
'
I used 180 grain Barnes TTX at 3.000 feet/sec for elk in Wyoming and Utah.

All had real fancy figured walnut and stocks needed to be glass bedded for stability.

Yes, I have a ‘73 Safari in .270. Great rifle and no salt problems!

Some folks may think that I typed “salt” by mistake for some reason, but a little research on Browning Safari rifles will reveal the history.

Yes, I have a ‘73 Safari in .270. Great rifle and no salt problems!

Some folks may think that I typed “salt” by mistake for some reason, but a little research on Browning Safari rifles will reveal the history.
And there is also an integtrity story here.

Brownig almost went broke fixing the problem. Somehow they got the idea that salt curing the wood for the stock was the way to go. The stocks dried all right but coroded the metal. Browning accepeted full reposnsibilty and restored all the salt rifles with a new stock if the owners sent them back, which Brownin paid for.

Hardly the same for Remington which not only denied the unsafe safety but kept repeating the problem for decades.

I am down to just one but over my life had three.

Presently have 3 diget serial number 30-06 mauser action made in Belgium. Had it for 52 years. Took my desert ram with it.

Wore out the barrel on a 243 Browing with a Sako Action made in Finland. Used it for Ground Squirrels and target work

Bought a Belgium made 338 win mag in Alaska, That front screw through the forend had to be just right, then it shot great.
'
I used 180 grain Barnes TTX at 3.000 feet/sec for elk in Wyoming and Utah.

All had real fancy figured walnut and stocks needed to be glass bedded for stability.
I’d like to see some pics of those rifles.

I almost bought one chambered in 7mm Rem Mag last year at a gun show but the bore was badly corroded so I passed but it was a really neat rifle.

I’d like to see some pics of those rifles.
If I knew how to post photos I would take a picture and send it.

Looking at a Safari grade Belgium made (or Finland make ) Browning is about as easy on the eyes for a man as looking at a photo of Marilyn Monroe in a vintage swimsuit. Modern rifles skimp and skim everywhere possible. No so with a Safari Grade Browning.

All the bumps, rolls and curves are right where they should be, in abundance. Full figured like MM. No skimp and skim, none. The wood to metal fit is tight and even so with the double stepped down pencil barrel, which were match grade.

Hand lapped at the factory, so smooth, the barrel just does not foul at all even with Barnes bullets. The earliest ones had a black but plate hand carved out of Cape Buffalo horn.

The checkering is fine and finely done, all by hand of course. Mine has a highly figured Frech Walnut stock not from that "salt era" production run. The bottom metal is all alloy to lighten up the rifle which is does well.

The bottom of the bolt knob is flattened and fineley checkered there.

I have had many pre-64 model 70's and by comparison they look cheap.

The only bolt action rifle made by Winchester that is the same league is the adorable model 54. Made in the wealthy roaring 20's before the Stock Market crash of 1929. They are a work of gunsmithig art. Such a great dark midnight sky blue finish never produced again,

For so many years my only two rifles were my Safari Grade Browning and my model 54, both in 30-06. My model 54 is a peep sight only with a factory installed period Lyman Apeture sight, with African leaf sights for dangerous game.

So sweet with the model 54 bolt standing out proud for fast handling if charged by some African game that bites and claws.

The scope base on my Browing is the pre-leopold Redfield one piece bridge mount, with ever so functional flip up fully adjustable peep sight. Almost inpossoble to find one anymoe. I found that one is a dusty old gun shop in Alaska.

The scope is a restored El Paso Weaver fixed 4X. I did not have the scope body reblued, parts of it are down to bare metal from going in and out of a custom sadlle scabbard I hade made. Both of these rifles fit me so, so perfectly. I have been shooting them since I was a pup. 52 years I have had the Safari Grade Browning and about 40 years with the model 54.

52 plus 40, 92 years total, In four more years that wil be a total of 100 years of my use with both of them.

The big game I have taken with these two rifles,,,,Wow,,,what great experiences,,,Desert Bighorn Ram no less,,,125 yards. I know how to crawl,,doulble kneed Carhart pants rule.

Over the past sevaral years I have become solid and tight with a young family. The husband is a elk hunting guide, with a 5 year old son. Lovely wife, Happy family.

After elk season he is freed up and we hunt for upland birds together. We take turns keeping out eyes to the ground while the other scans for elk and bighorn sheep,,,just to keep out eyes trained.

I used to be a hunting guide too when I was his age. We swap tips and stories and both of us agree too many hunters think they can shoot farther than they really can and most are out of shape. They are trying to make up with bigger bullets for s bigger belly.

Also we both are thrilled to track wovles and lions. We bear them only good will and are grateful to have them keep the wilderness wild. Neither of us would ever hunt them.

The elk we hunt are truly wlld too, no feedlots, plenty of low elevation public land for winter grazing. So rare. Also the elk here were not transplanted,,,been where we are since their ancestors cross the land bridge between the new world and old 15,000 year ago

This young hunter/guide does not know it yet, but that Browning Safari Grade rifle, the model 54 Winchester and the custom saddle scabbard are going to his when it's for me leave this lovely Mother Earth and meet up with Father Sky.

Hopefully he and his son with enjoy them both for another 100 years of combined use.

Mustangs Rule

I am fortunate enough to own two Browning Belgium Mauser Medallions. One in 7 mm Remington Magnum and one in 3006 Springfield. Since I am coming to the end of my hunting pursuits due to age I have been hunting with the 3006. What a piece of Art…..
So tasteful, such great wood to metal fit. I am 74, had and still have too many rifles. I am so pleased that over the pasy year that i have found ayoung man/fine hunter who I can give it to when my time comes.

I took my desert eam with it.

Thank you for your response

I remember back in the early 70's looking at them, thought they were beautiful. back then everyone I saw was a mauser action. Todays aren't and I've lost my taste for them over that and nothing else. Boy those old ones were beautiful. Of course theey are like girls. A pretty girl is only pretty if you think so!

Boy looking at my last post, can I mispell words,,,got real spoiled by spell check. There is this issue called, auto correct, where even if a word is spelled wrong, as we write we read it as right,,,some food for thought there.

Regarding my precious walnut stocked and blued metal rifles, none being sweeter than my Browning, my move to a much wetter climate has them being safe queens as never before.

Now I hunt far more with one of two stainless rifles with synthetic stocks. Gone are my dry desert hunts. When a walnut and blue rifle gets real wet I feel the need to take it apart and dry it out, then off course I need to re-sight it in. With my Sako finnlight or Kimber I do not worry.

I had a Finland Safari Grade medium action Browning in 243. It too was a sweet heart. I never hunted any big game with the .243 but used it extensively for a field marksmanship course I had on National Forest land. I actually did shoot out the barrel after so many thousands of rounds,,,,maybe 4,000. It was used when I bought it.

I bought my 30-06 Browning as a college graduation present to myself in 1971. It cost $180 used with a redfield 3-9 variable. I had to make payments back then.

The coolest hunt I ever had with it was for a Desert Bighorn Ram.

I got the tag on my first ever draw attempt.

I hired a guide for that once in a liftetiime hunt.

He asked all his client to do a trial shoot out in the desert before going hunting with them

Most guys came in with new high tech rifles. He wondered why I came for that hunt with an antique?

After seeing how well I shot with it, he understood fully.

Had a Browning Safari grade 300 Win
Great FN action very well made just a tad heavy.

In the day, the average working man could afford a Belgian Browning or an FN or a Dumolin Mauser actioned rifle. They were all beautiful and accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Today, you can still buy some of those rifles, but you could also send you kid through 4 years of college for about the same money. Fortunately, I have a Dumolin Mauser and an FN mauser action that I've had for many years. I haven't barreled the FN yet, because I'm not sure what caliber to build. I'll figure it out eventually.

In the day, the average working man could afford a Belgian Browning or an FN or a Dumolin Mauser actioned rifle. They were all beautiful and accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Today, you can still buy some of those rifles, but you could also send you kid through 4 years of college for about the same money. Fortunately, I have a Dumolin Mauser and an FN mauser action that I've had for many years. I haven't barreled the FN yet, because I'm not sure what caliber to build. I'll figure it out eventually.
Good to read you again danr....post more

Where can I buy a replacement stock for my Belgium Browning safari grade?

My Dad bought it brand new at a Sears store in 1965, and I have taken lots of deer and antelope and a few elk with it.

Back