Any hunttalkers dealing with rheumatoid arthritis?

flatcoat

Been feeling off for a few months now, saw some MD's in August and the day before archery season opened up was 'diagnosed' with RA (based on symptoms + labs.) Apparently I'm in the middle of a flare up. Soonest I could find a rheumatologist opening is December and I have to travel to another state for it, the locals are all booked out 6+ months. I did start on some meds with no difference yet. I've elk hunted a fair few days but am sitting a lot more water than normal and can't cover a ton of ground right now. My feet all of the sudden have issues with my broken in boots. My stomach can't take Peak/Mountain House/You name it instant meals. Rallying out of the tent when it's in the 30's in the AM is painful. Holding my bow hurts, bad.

I'm in my 30's and was in the best shape of my life prior to these shenanigans. Any HT'ers living and hunting with RA? Any stories of improvement once the med routine is established? Hoping I can follow my setters around without issue for the rest of Fall.

I have. I've been treated for RA-like symptoms since 2017. I was popping ibuprofen like it was candy for 3 straight years. It was the only thing that would ease the pain a little. The doc prescribed multiple things during that time, but nothing was working. Year three into the pain, the doc prescribed leflunomide. After about 6 months I started noticing improvement. I'm still not 100%, but I'm able to do most things I used to.

2017 - I couldn't walk to mailbox without my feet, knees and hips being in severe pain. Last month, I got in a 12-mile hike with only some minor pain in my feet. A few days ago, I did 3.5 miles with a 75 lb pack with minor pain later that night in my feet and right knee.

One thing, leflunomide does mess with my bowels, so TP is always nearby. But I'll take that over the pain any day.

At age 13 I had multiple fractures in my left leg with the knee being the worst break. My surgeon told me that when I got older I would have arthritis in my knee. When he said "When you get older" I didn't imagine that meant 19. I don't like taking pills so I just wear a brace and push through the pain.

My wife was diagnosed in 2006. It was a grueling couple years, as I’m sure you know. To this date she has been in medical remission since probably 2008 -2009Ish. Effectively asymptomatic at this point.

She started on Humira+Methotrexate+Prednisone. Over the years she’s weaned off all except the Humira.

There are some long term use issues with those drugs, but she was able to tolerate them fairly well.

At this time there are several other monoclonal antibody drugs that can be tried, so Humira is no longer your only option.

The price of the MAB drugs is frankly shocking! There are several ways around the 3-4K per month that your insurance will quote you. Don’t let that knock you down - it’s really a shame, but that’s another discussion.

We’ve never paid more than $10 per month, but my wife has really worked to keep that program working for us.

There is definitely hope, so try not to despair, though from what I saw, that chronic pain was very debilitating. I feel for ya.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’m more than willing to share any of the anecdotal evidence we’ve gathered over the years.

My daughter was just diagnosed with RA this last spring. We haven’t made it to the MAB (monoclonal antibody’s) yet. Her doctor started her on 400 mg of aleve twice a day and said for a bigger person you could get significantly higher dose of aleve safely. She was also started on methotrexate weekly. She went from essentially being disabled and barely being a normal active kid. To being almost back to normal. He tried to wean her off of aleve but she would get flare ups. I thought my poor girl wouldn’t be able to live a normal life. But the medication has got her back in the right direction. Get that appointment scheduled and asked to be on their cancellation list so if someone cancels you might get in sooner. It will get better and you can get back to enjoying all of your normal activities (Mostly pain free). Best of luck.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back