Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any Cali Pig Hunters?

I have a couple days of VAC left. I was going to head to CA to hunt pigs on a place I had an invite but looked at the NR prices.... I guess Cali don't want me there nor has a problem with pig populations. I can hunt deer cheaper in many states!

In Cali we don't have the same "problem" with pigs. In general, elsewhere in the country pigs have a negative impact on food crops. In CA, most of the pigs are on cattle land, and those ranchers don't want their cattle eating acorns so they let the pigs do it for them.

I'm interested to follow this topic. My uncle-in-law and I are discussing a DIY pig hunt as well. He lives in Cal City (middle of desert/nowhere kinda near Bakersfield) and I'm in MN. Non-res prices are high, but if I happen to be out there visiting them, a couple of hundred dollars for a weekend trip hunting won't hurt the budget too bad. Plus, I can't afford to go elk hunting with him in CO. I'd love to hear public land suggestions.

Emrah

Hello fellows, true that jryoung about the ranchs, and the "pig problem" here is really non -existant compairitively speaking; my travels as a wildland fireighter can support my statement. emrah,I and friends hunt public land, mostly BLM, but it's difficult and a bit of a crap shoot for us because over the decades what abundnce of pigs there were have been reduced and other factors play into the difficulty too. Schmalts, NR $ is steep yet I will never agree with CFW charging tag fees to hunt ferral pigs but i purchase my tags anyway. With boots on the ground I really enjoy the jorney of the hunt, so i've no complaints; i was just fishing the forum for local piggers. Happy trails to all.

In the valley on the east side

The pigs are still on the valley floor in the vineyards or citrus groves right now and have been sense last summer when the foothill cattle ranches dried up, now that it has rained and has started to turn green, they should move back up after the first couple of frosts.

I'd have to agree if you can get an invite to a ranch with some bottom lands or any kind of water on it you'd be set. If you can afford it the Tejon ranch offers hunts, but pound for pound those pigs cost more than gold. I'd have to slightly disagree that we don't have a pig problem in Kal, its just that we don't manage them as a problem species since they're profitable. For nuisance animal they are some of the best eating especially right now with all the acorns on the ground, one of the ones I whacked last week had a belly full of acorn mush and nothing else, were I a braver man I would have tried to make it into acorn flour since their stomach acid had conveniently leached out all the tannins already. Just curious do pigs wander inland over into the San
Berdoo? Every time I've been down there on fires I've looked but have yet to seem any, then again if its dry enough to burn its usually way too dry for hogs.

russian wild boar in central california came from rancho san carlos
the owner of that ranch let 12 of them go back in the 1920's
i use to live on that ranch many yrs ago and there was still some very nice pure black long hair long nose hogs around back then. not sure how california fish and game can get away with charging for pig tags to hunt them .
when i was hunting them way back when there was no closed season for hogs and no tags needed

here is a what if for you to think about
what if the owner of that ranch wants to shot a wild russian hog on his own ranch that were let go on this ranch back in the 20's ?
he owns the ranch and those hogs are not native to california and came with the ranch when you took ownership of it right ?

http://mchsmuseum.com/boar.html

Attachments

• russian boar.jpg
    russian boar.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 133
California classified them as game and are managed as such.

Said ranch lost their right when they let them run wild and free. Similar to wild cattle that are not branded can be hunted freely so long as it is within the rules set by the Department.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back