Any .358 Norma Magnum owners out there?

44hunter45

I was going to have Montana Rifle make me an X3 in .358 Norma Mag. I'm leery of the potential quality issues that can arise when company is in Chapter 11. So I decided to go another way..

I bought a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag this week and I'm going to have it re-barreled to 358NM. Then I will bed it in a full bed block Hogue Overmold stock. It should weigh about the same as my 264WM all kitted out (10 lbs). I know 358NM "obsolete" and all that, but it is something I've wanted for years and I'm in a place to do it. This is actually the third rifle I will have out with riflesmiths. Either Christmas, or Bankruptcy, is in my future.

I have been squirreling away brass for about a decade and I'm sitting on about 600 rounds

I am thinking of doing a 1-10 twist because I want to focus on 250 grain and heavier bullets and copper monolithics.

Anyone have 358NM wisdom or stories to pass along?

I don't have any experience, but that caliber has always intrigued me. Not sure why. Have fun with it!

I had a custom "only briefly". Mod 700, 26" Shilen #3, braked. I felt it kicked like a 340W, very controllable. I had to sell it to pay a Bill, unfortunately. I only shot some DoubleTap 180 TTSX out of mine as I was after "the ultimate elk rifle", ha.

I used to use a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. It was a tack driver. It being a Wildcat, and me being " a little naive", I loaded it to "sticky bolt, flat primers, and backed off a little, to best accuracy. I used the Barnes 250X (2600fps) and 200X (2970fps) I got the Nosler 250PT to 2700fps. So, I killed alot of African Plains Game with a round that was in the "358NM category", at those speeds. Later in life (20yrs later) I ran those loads through Quickload and wow! I was running right at 72-74K! So I had the 358NM made up. that way I could reach those speeds ( fantastic game killers, BTW!) at a safer pressure. But alas!....:)

Last edited:
Never seen one or shot one. Ballistics look great and a buddy has one and proclaims it best all around cartridge.

Not a 358 Norma but I had Montana Rifle build me a 358 STA On a 1917 Remington Enfield about 20 years ago. 23” 1/10 twist barrel shot 3/4 moa with 225 and 250 Barnes X bullets and IMR 7828 with very little load development.

I was going to have Montana Rifle make me an X3 in .358 Norma Mag. I'm leery of the potential quality issues that can arise when company is in Chapter 11. So I decided to go another way..

I bought a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag this week and I'm going to have it re-barreled to 358NM. Then I will bed it in a full bed block Hogue Overmold stock. It should weigh about the same as my 264WM all kitted out (10 lbs). I know 358NM "obsolete" and all that, but it is something I've wanted for years and I'm in a place to do it. This is actually the third rifle I will have out with riflesmiths. Either Christmas, or Bankruptcy, is in my future.

I have been squirreling away brass for about a decade and I'm sitting on about 600 rounds

I am thinking of doing a 1-10 twist because I want to focus on 250 grain and heavier bullets and copper monolithics.

Anyone have 358NM wisdom or stories to pass along?
I had a .358 out of a re-bored 35 whelen improved. I had them chamber it so that the neck was long enough to make the case out of a .300 win mag, by necking it up, without having to shorten the neck. Much better round when it is cut that way IMO

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back