Antler scoreing in vevet

Joe C

Do you use the same scoreing for deer racks with velvet?
I found a couple of bucks while scouting for elk they are still in velvet. I'm hoping to get a shot a one when the season opens in a few weeks. I got pics but I can't get them on this site.

Joe C

Joe C -

It depends on if you are shooting it with a rifle or bow.

Here is what B&C has to say:
VELVET ANTLERS
The Boone and Crockett Club does not accept antlers in “velvet” for entry into the Awards Programs and/or records books unless the velvet is removed before official measurements are made. Remnants of velvet are permissible as long as they do not affect any measurements.

For P&Y certain species will have a velvet catagory. So you will not have to strip the velvet to put it in P&Y if you shoot the deer in velvet.

Hope this helps.

The scoring system is the same, the animal is simply classified as a "velvet" entry. IdahoBugler is correct, as B&C does not allow ANY velvet entries.

Pope & Young allows velvet entries on ALL antlered species taken by means of a bow & arrow. The minimum score requirements are the same as hard antlered species. Just keep in mind, the velvet entry will not be ranked in the record book (asterisk only) and will only appear one time in the next published book. Furthermore, velvet entries are NOT recognized for world record status, no matter how big, due to inconsistencies (accoring to P&Y) in velvet from one animal to another.

I've officially measured quite a few in velvet, and although a bit more difficult, I like the look of a big ol' velvet muley. :) Good luck and hope it helps.

Back