Antelope Taste and Smell

My dad came home with a few antelope last weekend and I helped him butcher them. There was zero smell to the meat at all. Last year when we did ours I remember a distinct sage smell to it. There was no difference in the way the meat was treated and they were shot within a mile of where we got ours last year. The only difference was that last year we each got a buck and a doe. This year they only shot does. I haven't gotten a chance to taste any from this year but I suspect it will be every bit as good as last years, or better.

Chasing antelope sounds like zero fun. It's a 2.5 hour hike in to where we hunt so they animals are nice and relaxed.

Nothing better that doe antelope, in my opinion.

The one my dad shot last week had stronger smelling meat upon butchering it than the ones my girls shot a few weeks earlier. A couple theories, Dads buck had been running all the way across a section before it got to him. I wouldn't think that would matter, but I guess it could. His shot placement was less than ideal, lets just say I'm glad we did the gutless method. Also, what I believe could have been a stronger factor, we put the quarters in game bags and on ice right away but we also put the head and cape in a game bag and put it in the same freezer. The usual odors of the horns and hide were in that cooler with the meat all sealed up, I won't do that again!

The last speed goat I shot was say 5 or 6 years ago so I don't remember everything about how we went about it. I don't honestly remember if it was a buck or a doe. But, it was on a Hutterite colony that at the time let anyone hunt. Just go ask permission and go for it. So there were multiple rigs on the place. We came over a knob on the road on our way out and spotted them. They were running. We shot. Took out all three. Mine was a one shot kill. Best meat I've ever had.

So I don't believe the running them thing.

Also, we went bird hunting the next day. It was cold enough we left the hides on. Best meat I've ever had.

I love pronghorn meat. Having said that I shot an old doe one year that had a strong sagey flavor to the meat. Why? Who knows. The meat wasn't bad, just had a stronger flavor. Maybe it was something in her diet, or maybe it had to do with being an old animal.

It hadn't been running for at least an hour because that's how long it took me to get in range and wait for her to stand up. I did use the gutless method. I'm enjoying the meat it just has a distinct taste and to a lesser degree smell. I may just be over analyzing it.

I love pronghorn meat. Having said that I shot an old doe one year that had a strong sagey flavor to the meat. Why? Who knows. The meat wasn't bad, just had a stronger flavor. Maybe it was something in her diet, or maybe it had to do with being an old animal.

How much sage brush have you chewed on, to justify that description?:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back