Antelope shed hunting

Hankg

Is antelope shed hunting a thing? Don’t seem to remember seeing anything about it.

Fence crossings are great spots. We find quite a few every year. They dry out fast.

Antelope bucks shed their horn sheaths every year - usually mid/late November. Fairly common find out in the sage.
Interesting, the way I understood it was the outer layer was keratin and the inner was bone. Similarly to bovids. That would be a cool keepsake.

I've got maybe half a dozen of them I found over the years. As mentioned above, they don't last long. I think the critters eat them up pretty fast, and they also decompose pretty quickly.

Fence crossings and salt licks are good places to look.

Hmm I didn’t know the couple antelope sheds i have are that hard to come by. Glad i kept them, pretty cool to have them laying on the ol gun safe next to some other deer sheds.

I have found quite a few, including 1 with a bullet hole in it. They don't last real long - the sun and weather bust them up pretty quickly. They get fuzzy as the keratin delaminates and then they more or less dissolve into nothing. But they are definitely findable.

You find a lot of them archery hunting antelope since your stalks are long and often circuitous. I have a good handful at home from that.

I have found 15,000+ deer antlers and have never found an antelope shed. Just haven't spent that much time looking where antelope are in November and like Bambi said. They don't last long.
Funny stuff. Art finds hundreds of deer antlers a year and I find a dozen or so at the most He’s never found an antelope shed and I find maybe a half dozen a year.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back