Caribou Gear Tarp

Antelope Roast

Nathan

Shot my first ever Antelope this fall and we have eaten the tenderloins and a lot of the ground in chili, spaghetti, and burgers. All has been phenomenal.

Yesterday we made a roast and it was super gamey. It was bearable with a lot of ketchup but not good at all.

Why would the loins and ground be so delicious but the roast be so bad?

Not sure how to answer that question, as we have never had an issue with any of it. We throw it in the Instapot with whatever spices we want and it turns out great. Head scratcher for sure.

I'm going to assume the roast was cut from a ham. The ham has several lymph nodes in them that if left in can contribute to a gamey flavor.

I’d hope not. The processor came highly recommended and does hundreds if not thousands of antelope a year.

Not sure how to answer that question, as we have never had an issue with any of it. We throw it in the Instapot with whatever spices we want and it turns out great. Head scratcher for sure.

Yeah I’m confused by it. The ground we don’t mix with anything else, 100% antelope and it all tasted great. Tenderloins were great. But that first roast was terrible.

We cooked it the same way we cook venison roasts.

You got someone else's ham. Community meat

They claim they don’t do that but that was my first thought as well.

Since that Hunt I’ve learned to process my own so if that was the case it won’t happen again.

They claim they don’t do that but that was my first thought as well.

Since that Hunt I’ve learned to process my own so if that was the case it won’t happen again.
That's the best way to ensure the quality of your meat. Don't forget these butchers aren't in it for charity corners can and will be cut in pursuit of the almighty dollar. That's why I haven't let another man handle my meat in a decade( college was a confusing time:).

not super tough but it didn’t fall apart like my venison roasts do

I wonder if it would be better soaking it in a brine or something acidic to break it down more next time? I have had tough roasts before and that has helped a lot.

The Instapot is the answer to all things tough. Pressure cook it and then slow cook. Perfect every time. I have not yet had any antelope that was tough, though. We really like it, but I rarely shoot anything but does, too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back