Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Antelope Pop-up blind hunting

Question for all of you seasoned archery pronghorn hunting experts out there! When doing your scouting, and you find a water hole that is being utilized or in an area with a lot of antelope in it. How long is it before you actually hunt the blind at a water hole? Now I understand that a few days would be ideal so that they can get used to it. But was going to see what you guys thought!!! Is the wind as crucial as when say hunting white-tails?

My brother and I are planning a OYOA public land archery pronghorn hunt in Colorado this year, and just trying to gain all of the information we can. Oh and this will be his first pronghorn hunt and my first one with a stick and string!!! Can't hardly wait!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

I hunt it as soon as I put it up, if time is crunched. Most important, try to make it so it faces with the sun at your back for the majority of the time you will be in the blind. I you plan to hunt it more in morning, put it SE of your waterhole. If you plan to hunt more in afternoon and evening, put it SW of your waterhole. Make sure you block all the cracks and seams that might backlight you.

Bring something to stay cool and occupy your time. This is hours of hot boredom, interrupted by a few minutes of excitement.

I have set one up days in advance, but have also killed bucks the first day I put it up. I haven't killed one in a couple years. Numbers are still pretty tough up here right now.

The very first buck I killed with my bow I set up the afternoon before and he came in the next morning. The previous evening I had three small bucks come in only a couple of hours after setting it up.

I've only archery hunted pronghorn one time but I saw both ends of the spectrum. I spent the first three days hunting an area that had a lot of watering options and tried hunting the blind the day after setting it up. I sat for hours watching them watch me from 1,000 yards then they would head to other water. After three days I moved camp to a much more arid area and killed a buck the day I set the blind up. I could tell they were nervous but they couldn't help themselves in the end.

So.......from my limited experience I would say it just depends. ;)

glad someone asked this question already. have a pop up that will hopefully get used this fall since minnesota gave me no love for a bear permit. problem is, does not match the terrain out west. so, my question is, anyone ever tried one of these? and if not, what's the opinions on them?

http://www.midwesthaybaleblinds.com/pricing.html

looking at the wraps. not the entire blind set up.

Thanks for the input guys!!!!! So far I am liking the consensus that it is not always imperative to have the blind out for a good length of time prior to hunting it!!!!! Hopefully I will have some good pics to post up here in a few months!!!

Back