Antelope European mount - Taxidermy question

awapiti

I am going to do a euro mount for my Wyoming Antelope. This is my first attempt at doing a euro and so far the skull looks great. My question is in regards to the horn sheaths. I have washed them out in hot water and dawn and then packed them with borax and have let them sit for the past 5 days. They are still very stinky. How do you get the smell out? Or do I just need to be more patient and let them sit longer?

Also, I am looking for a plaque to mount the skull to and I have not found anything online that I like. I prefer a long narrow panel that mounts to the wall and from this, I like an attachment point coming out of the panel at a 45 degree angle. This gives the euro a 3-d look and I think it contrasts nicely against the panel. Most of the panels I see online have the long narrow panel coming out at a 45 degree angle and the skull sits on this. I don't really care for this look. (This probably makes no sense, I will post up a picture later.)

Thanks

From my experience the horns will stink for a long time but usually you have to be pretty close to notice it.

As for the plaque, look in the Van Dykes or another taxidermy catalog. Also calls to local taxidermists might point you to a local who does that kind of work.

Good luck and post pics of the finished product.

Like Bwana said, I have always used these -

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/SOED714-P10734.aspx
They also have some arrow head panels which are kind of cool.

As far as cleaning the sheaths, I use dawn/baking soda and a toothbrush like you said, and then pack the insides with baking soda. I am not sure if baking soda works much better than borax for odor elimination. One thing I would be careful of is wetting and drying the sheaths too much, as they may become brittle or shrink. Usually once you secure the sheaths onto the cores with bondo(i use plaster of paris) the internal smell is kind of locked in and becomes less noticeable.

Good luck

The skull hookers, I think are super cool. Have seen them in person a few times and like them a lot. However have not been lucky enough to have anything to purchase one for.

A 50/50 mixture of linseed oil and turpentine dump it down the horns swish it around good.let it sit for 5 or ten minutes.Do this a couple time and it should take care of the smell.

Fill them with a 50/50 mixture of water and clear ammonia and let it stand for 24 hours. The smell is from bacteria, you have to kill it. Anything else will just mask the oder for a short time.

Here's a pic of my euro mount

1110607211_EDxQm-L-1.jpg

Finally put the finishing touches on the euro mount. Thanks everyone for the advice. I think the mount came out really good, especially considering this is my first attempt.

anteloopeeuromount004.jpg
[/IMG]
anteloopeeuromount006.jpg
[/IMG]

wyomingantelope2011019.jpg
[/IMG]

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member