NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Antelope Decoy question

Spitz

Anybody use them on a rifle hunt? I've been on bow hunts where they've come in handy, but haven't really needed one on a rifle hunt in the past. I came up with a NM antelope hunt for the last week of August. Ranch has some really flat, really big pastures and a buddy and I will be the only hunters (So safety isn't an issue). I've pretty much talked myself into buying one just in case. . . SO . . .

Be the decoy or Montana Decoy?

Thoughts?

Anybody use them on a rifle hunt? I've been on bow hunts where they've come in handy, but haven't really needed one on a rifle hunt in the past. I came up with a NM antelope hunt for the last week of August. Ranch has some really flat, really big pastures and a buddy and I will be the only hunters (So safety isn't an issue). I've pretty much talked myself into buying one just in case. . . SO . . .

Be the decoy or Montana Decoy?

Thoughts?

I'd be safe and try out the angus montana decoy.

Cow decoy should work great for you. I was impressed with how well it worked for Schmalts last year on our WY hunt.

Yep, in that scenario if you are absolutely sure there is no way anyone else will make it a safety issue, then go for it. Decoys, especially during the rut, really work!

We've had the cow decoy fool some goats, others...not so much. The one I remember most we were in a herd of real cows and three antelope strolled right past at about 15 yards.

The next several hundred we showed it to ran.

We were bowhunting though and I can say it was really easy to get within 300 yards of them with the cow decoy.

picture.php

Proof that it works.
got to under 150 yards so that my son got a standing broadside shot right over the top of the decoy.

picture.php

Proof that it works.
got to under 150 yards so that my son got a standing broadside shot right over the top of the decoy.

Congrats to your son, that's a great buck, looks like some ivory tip eh?

I could definitely see using the cow for rifle hunting, might have to get it out!

When I've tried it we were trying to get under 50 yards for bow shots.

ive also got a new mex antelope hunt with only 2 people on the ranch property,,,ive got the cow montana and the antelope decoys,also just got the{ be the decoy hat and shirt }set up also,,,gonna play it by ear on using the {be the decoy setup},,,even w 2 people{legally hunting}safety is a concern just because its during a {any weapon} season.

Be The Decoy is not allowed during any rifle season. All states. Archery only season.

That takes all the fun out of Being The Decoy when you see that old pickup pull off the side of the road while you're making the stalk! :D

If you don't have a decoy, pack a white towel or shirt with you. When you want to get their attention just pull that towel or shirt out and wave it around a little. That flash of white is all it takes and it works on does too. The first time I saw someone do it I was amazed. I was watching two people sneak into range of a group of antelope and when in range they took a shot at the buck but missed. The group took off running and the guy started waving a white towel and the whole group stopped running and even started moving back in the direction of the hunters.

end of august may be too early to get a STRONG response from a buck using a decoy? But I bowhunt and need them within 40 yards. If you are using a rifle on the hunt maybe a decoy is just the ticket, if you are CERTAIN there are no other hunters (or poachers) in the area (safety).

I had no luck at all with BeTheDecoy or my Mel Dutton decoy on NV lopes this last week but it was EARLY in the doe gathering stage and I really was not sure how to specifically use the BeTheDECOY setup. I say it was early but was staling groups with 10-35 does per buck. Also there was literally NO cover to use to move with a bit of cover to help the ruse and to get into reasonably close range before popping out the decoy or 'showing' the antelope hat. baldest terrain I ever tried to stalk lopes in, fun challenge.

Would be nice if the BeTheDecoy gang would string together some video that actually shows stalks on animals. All the material I checked out that they have online was too cut up to really see how the hat does or does not work to move in, in the open, from a good distance to close the gap or cause bucks to come in to bow range.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back