Caribou Gear

Antelope conundrum

mdunc8

So I finally found some antelope worth chasing. However I've got two issues to deal with -- one's a good problem to have, the other not so good.

The Good. I found a big group of bucks with about 7 or 8 that I wouldn't think twice about shooting. Keep in mind I've never hunted antelope so my standards are pretty low at this point. I'd say the "shooters" are at least 12", but that's coming from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. There's one beautiful wide buck with some really nice curl and then there's Droopy. Droopy has a real nice right side, but the left drops down in front of his face. I think I know which one I'm going to go after, but which one would you rather shoot.

The Not So Good. Then there's the issue of the blinds. Someone has already stuck up two blinds in the area I was planning on hunting. How courteous would you be in my situation? I've never had the chance to hunt these critters and I don't have too many other options in the section I'm hunting in. I'm not going to go sit in the guy's blind opening morning, but I'm also not going to avoid the area. I don't want to be a jackass, but I may only have this season and next to chase goats before my wife makes me move back East.

Your thoughts?

Pray for tons of rain and the blinds will all suck.

Hit the gullies and draws and get your stalk on. Wait til Sept and use a deke. Piss your pants fun.

Don't be a prick and screw up thier hunt. They beat you to it. It is just a antelope.

Get a divorce? Back east is not fit for no man.

Remember you asked.

Public land or private?

BLM or State?

If I remember right, there are regulations on setting up blinds on BLM and State...I'd look into that and go from there. If its BLM I'm pretty certain they are in violation.

It's state and I'm not really concerned about whether it's legal or not. More of an etiquette question. I definitely wouldn't go in and bust up a hunt if they're already there. I'm not that much of dick. There's more than enough antelope running around that I can avoid the area if they're already hunting it, but would you avoid that area all together? I'm going to hunt the area, but just curious if anyone else would. If it were national forest I would be more inclined to give them a little more space, but there's not much public land in this section and the one piece of private property I have to hunt doesn't seem to be holding any.

after the first few hours of opening day they are not going to stay on the public land, especially if it's already getting full. I would look for possible hiding spots on your private land. they will probably get chased there anyway. I've watched them sit for 8 hrs in one spot just because it was private right next to a public fence. Then after sundown go about there business.

Etiquette on public? :D

Wait until about September 11 or 12 and get a decoy. You'll have some serious action. I'd guess waterhole hunting to be pretty boring, never done that.

I just had 2 decoys show up at my house yesterday.

Back