Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Antelope Age Question- Picture of teeth

Walkathon

Wyoming antelope from this year. I looked at the aging information that was posted earlier this year, and I'm still having troubles figuring out if all the front teeth are adult teeth, or if the back ones are still baby teeth. Can someone provide an age ? It didn't have an overly big body, or big horns. 13" one side 13.5 other side and small prongs.

IMG_0020  Resized.JPGIMG_0024 resized.JPG

Last edited:
Look at the Pictures forum and Big Fin has instructions on how to post with a resize.
I think yours are probably too large.

@ClearCreek - Hello, Can you make an estimate on age based on above pics? Buzz already weighed in and I was hoping both of you, and anyone else with experience would take a look and provide feedback. Thanks

That isn't the part of the teeth that you need to see to really make a good guess on the teeth.

You need to see the back teeth and the amount of wear on them. Very hard to tell anything from the front teeth.

This is what we would need to see:

buck_jawbone.jpg

That isn't the part of the teeth that you need to see to really make a good guess on the teeth.

You need to see the back teeth and the amount of wear on them. Very hard to tell anything from the front teeth.

This is what we would need to see:

buck_jawbone.jpg
Thanks- I understand how to age deer based on dentine exposure vs enamel on the 4th tooth, and back in your picture, but from what I've read, Antelope replace their front teeth in a very specific manner based on age.

Thanks- I understand how to age deer based on dentine exposure vs enamel on the 4th tooth, and back in your picture, but from what I've read, Antelope replace their front teeth in a very specific manner based on age.
Thanks. Learn something new almost every day!

@ClearCreek - Hello, Can you make an estimate on age based on above pics? Buzz already weighed in and I was hoping both of you, and anyone else with experience would take a look and provide feedback. Thanks

Based on being able to see all four lower incisors from the right side of the critter in the bottom photo I would say all four have been replaced so that would indicate the animal is at least 4 years old.

ClearCreek

Does anyone know how many years antelope can live beyond the known 4 years? Would a 10 year old animal be considered very old? 20 years?

For reference: 2.5 year old buck, 2 deciduous teeth there per side along with 2 adult teeth. Deciduous teeth are about 1/2 the width of the adult teeth. I'm not 100% about the last tooth on your buck, but i think it is probably 4.5+.
To answer the other question, 7 years is allegedly around max age in the wild. Not sure what case reports are out there in regards to max age. It may vary based on region.

Attachments

• 20201229_182452.jpg
    20201229_182452.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
For reference: 2.5 year old buck, 2 deciduous teeth there per side along with 2 adult teeth. Deciduous teeth are about 1/2 the width of the adult teeth. I'm not 100% about the last tooth on your buck, but i think it is probably 4.5+.

Great reference picture. You can clearly see the first two replacement sets are bigger than the 2nd two.

That's why I was wondering if mine was 3.5, or if the last tooth was an adult tooth making it 4.5. I can't really tell on mine. Not a huge deal either way. It wasn't a large buck. It appeared to be the same size as many other bucks I saw and had average size horns, maybe a little taller than most the others. I was just curious if I was understanding the aging technique and I appreciate the input of those of you who understand the technique.

This doe was aged by WG&F tooth aging lab at 14 1/2 years old. At the time it was the oldest pronghorn they had aged. Late season harvest.
Very interesting- Looks like it has a huge "doe horn". Didn't realize they could survive that long

Longest doe horn I have taken and she had dropped the other already. It was a Dec. harvest.
For a while they had her pic on the wall in the lab due to the age.
To say we were surprised would be an understatement.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back