Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Another Ram Pic

Ok, here is another ram picture. These rams are not as big as Scarface or Chiphorn, but they are not bad. It is a little harder to tell which of these rams is the biggest. Which one would you shoot??

View

I would wait to have someone tell me what one to shoot.
I havent seen very many and Have never hunted them so they all look good to me. Great Pictures BCA.
We had some above our camp when we did a float trip through Hells canyon.Nothing that big though.

[ April 01, 2001: Message edited by: Muledeer4me ]

The one on the left looks broomed off more, but he looks heavier than the one on the right. I'd shoot the left one.

Oak

If I were hunting by myself I would take the one lying down. Hey, what do you guys mean when you use the word BROOMED to describe horns?? CUBAN

The one on the ground has no age and I think the one on the left is heavier.

Broomed= blunt and battered on the tips of the horns.

they get broomed from age and butting heads, or so I have read.

If it was the first day of season I would look for a bigger one!!! If it was near the last day I would say the one on the left. Hunter John is right for the most part it is a sight thing. Although I have seen em big without the brooming too!!! bcat

[ April 02, 2001: Message edited by: bcat ]

Well, the one on the left rises higher than the others, and extends farther forward. He also appears to be watching for the boss. I think I might wait and see if I could get a look at the boss. If I could see what he was looking at, and it wasn't significantly larger, the one on the left dies where he stands.

This is a question, but it seems to me that they must get longer than these. Quite frequently you hear of curl and a quarter or curl and a half rams. I presume the name means what it implies? Anyone have an answer?

:cool:

Dan-Never heard of more than a full curl in this type of sheep!!! Seen it in domestics, and exotics but never have seen one in Bighorns! Got any pics? bcat

Dan,

A full curl is when the horn reaches an imaginary line from the front of the base of the horn through the center of the eye. If the horn is past that imaginary line, it is more than a full curl. The two rams that are standing are full curl. The one laying down is a bit longer than full curl mainly because he has not broomed off his lamb tips. Also if you look very closely, you can see the annual rings on these sheep.

BCA said "...... Oh wait ..that "ANNUAL" RING :D :D :D

I would have Picked the One on the RIGHT. Dang, I need to work on this.... Because I will draw this year in IDAHO.... (YEH right
)

HE HE Moose if you put your sites under the chin of the one laying down and squeez
You get the broomed horns the lamb tips and alot of meat :D :D HE HE Just a thought :eek:

BCA,
Acording to the regulations of the WY big game book, and the MT one I got in the mail today you are exspaining a 3/4 curl ram. I do not know how it is in NM.

John

Hntrjohn,

I am sure you are right about the description. There are many different opinions of what exactly constitutes a full curl. Some people say that for a ram to be a full curl, the tip of the horn has to reach the bridge of the nose. Others describe it the way I did. It is kind of like brooming. Some people think brooming occurs when rams fight, others think that brooming is done purposely to prevent the horn from blocking the ram's view. I guess it just depends on what book you read or what person you listen to. By the way, the NMDG&F does not list a description of a full curl ram because in NM the legal bag limit is any one ram, it does not have to be a full curl.

The one on the left is bigger than the one on the right due to his horns first going up higher and then dropping lower than the ram on the right.

But if you look at the amount of drop on the bedded ram, he drops lower than the ram on the left. That is the one I would shoot.

Desert Sheep, Awsome pic ya have in your Profile!!!!!

Welcome to the Forum. Would like to hear the Story of your Sheep !!! :D :D

Desert Sheep, you are one lucky son of a gun. Right now I make it y past time giving verious states short term loans dreaming I will get any sheep.

I garentee (sp)(wereis that spell chk?) before I turn 40 I will at least try for a dall.

John

Back