Another MN transplant to the West

Vik

I grew up in a small town on Lake Superior in NE MN. I fished a lot, mainly trout, walleye, smallies, and pike, and spent the fall hunting grouse and woodcock. College brought me to Univ. Wisconsin-Stevens Point (more trout and birds) and then I moved to AK with my future wife for 8 months following graduation, didn't hunt there but fished like crazy. After the AK stint we moved to OR, first Corvallis then Portland, and we're currently plotting our escape from the city.

Since moving to OR I have converted the majority of my outdoor time to focus on harvesting food...salmon/steelhead, crabbing, shellfish, mushrooms, and most recently, waterfowl and archery hunting. I am lucky enough to have friends that cut the learning curve for me on archery elk by teaching me tactics and putting me on a general area that held elk (all public lands). My first season was 2014, I had an amazing hunt and made a quick kill on a 4x5 raghorn bull in eastern Oregon. Bringing home enough meat to feed my wife, 2 daughters, and myself for nearly a year is the most gratifying feeling I've ever had. On top of that, I LOVE ELK HUNTING! I've never felt as much a part of nature as I do when I'm walking the woods with a bow looking for elk, and interacting (calling) with elk is otherworldly. I was lucky enough to tag a cow elk last fall after a completely crazy 7 days of hunting in which I had encounters nearly every day, including some close ones with decent bulls...I learned a TON.

I learned of Randy through listening to the meateater podcast and have since listened to all of Randy's podcasts and watched almost every video he's posted on youtube. Randy's stuff is especially relatable for me given our largely shared experience...growing up in small town MN, divorced parents, not much money, but still being immersed in the outdoors, then moving out west and getting hooked on the vast public lands and big game hunting it has to offer.

Sorry for the long winded intro...I tend to have a problem with that, though I'll do my best to keep it concise in the future.

Lastly, thanks to Randy for all you do for hunters, land, and wildlife!

Cheers
The Viking...aka Vik

I grew up in a small town on Lake Superior in NE MN. I fished a lot, mainly trout, walleye, smallies, and pike, and spent the fall hunting grouse and woodcock. College brought me to Univ. Wisconsin-Stevens Point (more trout and birds) and then I moved to AK with my future wife for 8 months following graduation, didn't hunt there but fished like crazy. After the AK stint we moved to OR, first Corvallis then Portland, and we're currently plotting our escape from the city.

Since moving to OR I have converted the majority of my outdoor time to focus on harvesting food...salmon/steelhead, crabbing, shellfish, mushrooms, and most recently, waterfowl and archery hunting. I am lucky enough to have friends that cut the learning curve for me on archery elk by teaching me tactics and putting me on a general area that held elk (all public lands). My first season was 2014, I had an amazing hunt and made a quick kill on a 4x5 raghorn bull in eastern Oregon. Bringing home enough meat to feed my wife, 2 daughters, and myself for nearly a year is the most gratifying feeling I've ever had. On top of that, I LOVE ELK HUNTING! I've never felt as much a part of nature as I do when I'm walking the woods with a bow looking for elk, and interacting (calling) with elk is otherworldly. I was lucky enough to tag a cow elk last fall after a completely crazy 7 days of hunting in which I had encounters nearly every day, including some close ones with decent bulls...I learned a TON.

I learned of Randy through listening to the meateater podcast and have since listened to all of Randy's podcasts and watched almost every video he's posted on youtube. Randy's stuff is especially relatable for me given our largely shared experience...growing up in small town MN, divorced parents, not much money, but still being immersed in the outdoors, then moving out west and getting hooked on the vast public lands and big game hunting it has to offer.

Sorry for the long winded intro...I tend to have a problem with that, though I'll do my best to keep it concise in the future.

Lastly, thanks to Randy for all you do for hunters, land, and wildlife!

Cheers
The Viking...aka Vik

What part of Oregon. (Edit:Ignore that, I originally read your post saying that you had escaped the city) I also left the shores of Superior (upper Michigan) for Oregon (Central Oregon).

I'm assuming you are from Duluth?

Dan

Last edited:
What part of Oregon. (Edit:Ignore that, I originally read your post saying that you had escaped the city) I also left the shores of Superior (upper Michigan) for Oregon (Central Oregon).

I'm assuming you are from Duluth?

Dan

Roughly 60 miles NE from Duluth on Hwy 61, a tiny little town called Silver Bay.

When I was going to school in WI I played for a men's hockey club and we traveled to Houghton and Calumet every year to play. I also went steelhead fishing near there a couple times, and fished smallies on the Menominee when I had a summer job in NE WI. Beautiful country! (If you haven't, you should read True North by Jim Harrison, excellent book set primarily in the UP)

Roughly 60 miles NE from Duluth on Hwy 61, a tiny little town called Silver Bay.

When I was going to school in WI I played for a men's hockey club and we traveled to Houghton and Calumet every year to play. I also went steelhead fishing near there a couple times, and fished smallies on the Menominee when I had a summer job in NE WI. Beautiful country! (If you haven't, you should read True North by Jim Harrison, excellent book set primarily in the UP)

Small world, I grew up in that area. I will definitely look up the True North book. Guessing the Falls river in L'anse for steelhead?

In my opinion, being a Minnesota Vikings fan is perfect preparation for elk hunting. It steels your resolve and prepares you for defeat. If you don't believe me, just look what it has done for Big Fin.

Welcome. Hope you find a lot of good information here.

Yes Ben, being a lifelong Vikings fan does prepare you to handle times of disappointment, unmet expectations, and failure at the most inopportune time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back