Caribou Gear

Another Missouri River Breaks thread

Dzlmech

So as they say, long time listener, first time caller. Anyway this year will be my second year so to speak hunting elk. My wife and I have only been hunting for 6 years all of it here in NW Montana and We’ve been blessed to have harvested a deer every year and I’ve been able to take two great bears. But now it’s time for a harder challenge. We both put in for archery elk tags for unit 620,621,622. And naturally both of us drew. I was just hoping for one so the stress might be a little lower. But it is what it is and if we can take two then I don’t know what I’d do other than smile every day. But enough of the back story. We are focusing on the 621 area for hunting, and I have specific areas, ridges, coulees, and creeks that I feel might be good to check. We will be going to scout it over the Labor Day weekend and then will be there for the entire third week of September. I’ve invested in The elk 101 university of elk hunting course and that’s been an enlightening experience that I can’t put down. I listen to podcasts like you wouldn’t believe from everyone. Besides the weather, rain, wind, probable snakes. Is there anything that I should be researching that might not be common thoughts. I plan to call the biologists and or game wardens next week to get any kind of information they would be willing to share but all of you guys have been doing this for longer than myself so I love to learn new hunting techniques, tactics, and trades. I hope this wasn’t too much of an information drop. But I’m just trying to know as much as I can so we can hopefully bring home our first elk.

The Breaks one of the most amazing places to hunt in the state. One thing I can offer up is there will be people, plenty of people, but don't over look a place just because you saw someone hunting the opposite ridge or coming out of a place you wanted to go into. Find the elk, bed them down if you can and remember you have plenty of time to get in on them, especially if there is a strong wind. Calling does not work unless you are right on top of them, from my experience. You will see snakes. The elk are very careful with what they do out there, but if you go it with the plan on seeing some awesome bulls, making memories with your wife, you will have a great time.

Things to bring that have made my archery breaks trips more comfortable
1. extra gas/water (taking half a day to go to town sucks, unless the elk have beat you so bad that you need a break)
2. chains for the vehicle, honestly if it is raining plan on staying at camp or close to camp for a couple days. so pick a spot to camp where you can hunt from there.
3. portable shower if you are out 6 days or more
4. lawn chair to rest on or glass from
5. slippers of flip flops to change out of your boots
6. lip protection
7. bug spray/ thermacell

Last edited:
So a piece of information I forgot about is, as of this year we don’t really have the know how or ability to do any tent type camping however you want to put it so I am bringing my 24’ fifth wheel to camp in.
I’m looking at probably staying in the slippery Ann campground or maybe the rock creek boat launch area? Unless someone says I should go elsewhere

I would look into roads that are somewhat passable when wet. The thing about September is you never know what the weather will do. I would hate to go to the breaks for several days only to have it rain and be sitting on my thumb without a secondary option. For the record, it is the breaks and if you put miles on more than just your truck, you will find elk. Don't over think it and just enjoy the area...it's cool country.

Finding passable roads is my biggest unknown. If anybody knows how the lower roads are into like slippery Ann campground or rock creek campground that would be willing to chime in that’d be appreciated.
We are going to go put boots to the ground as they say on Labor Day weekend but the more I know going in the better.
Hiking is our go to, we aren’t afraid to put 10-15 miles in our boots a day.
I mostly just want to be able to get my camper in and out of somewhere so I can have a base camp

Honestly I would camp high and drive where I want to hunt in the mornings, even if it take 30 min-a hour. The reason for that is if it does get wet out there the camper will stay. I have had more than one friend have to leave a camper there a extra week while things dried up again.

What unit are you looking to hunt? We saw plenty of campers out there last year but definitely stay near a "year-round" road.

From what I've heard I wouldn't worry about calling.

I believe the road to slippery ann and maybe even all the way to rock creek is all weather. Should be good if you stay on it with the 5th wheel.

Like TeeJ said calling is usually not the way to go unless you can break that 100 yard mark on them... they get called at alot so if you are going to call make sure you sound good.

I e heard it’s a very call shy area from lots of sources. For the most part the only calling in my head will be to cow call to stop them. But you know how that can go.

I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews on the road to slippery Ann and rock creek. If anyone had any first hand experience I’d really appreciate that. I still have not had a chance to call the biologist out there but it is in my plans. I should have done it last week when I was slow at work

The Breaks one of the most amazing places to hunt in the state. One thing I can offer up is there will be people, plenty of people, but don't over look a place just because you saw someone hunting the opposite ridge or coming out of a place you wanted to go into. Find the elk, bed them down if you can and remember you have plenty of time to get in on them, especially if there is a strong wind. Calling does not work unless you are right on top of them, from my experience. You will see snakes. The elk are very careful with what they do out there, but if you go it with the plan on seeing some awesome bulls, making memories with your wife, you will have a great time.

Things to bring that have made my archery breaks trips more comfortable
1. extra gas/water (taking half a day to go to town sucks, unless the elk have beat you so bad that you need a break)
2. chains for the vehicle, honestly if it is raining plan on staying at camp or close to camp for a couple days. so pick a spot to camp where you can hunt from there.
3. portable shower if you are out 6 days or more
4. lawn chair to rest on or glass from
5. slippers of flip flops to change out of your boots
6. lip protection
7. bug spray/ thermacell
Calling can work. I managed to pull a smaller 6 point off the back of slippery ann a handful of years ago

I e heard it’s a very call shy area from lots of sources. For the most part the only calling in my head will be to cow call to stop them. But you know how that can go.

I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews on the road to slippery Ann and rock creek. If anyone had any first hand experience I’d really appreciate that. I still have not had a chance to call the biologist out there but it is in my plans. I should have done it last week when I was slow at work
I would guess the road to SA would be ok. We never saw a ton of rain when we were there, but it seemed rocky enough (not dirt), so that it wouldn’t turn into “gumbo”. It sees a lot of traffic for the elk viewing, so they may keep it maintained better.

Road there is usually good up till the river access. Shouldn't have a problem pulling a camper up to it.

Road there is usually good up till the river access. Shouldn't have a problem pulling a camper up to it.
Cool thanks! I hope it’s not a mistake camping there. I’m going to imagine that it’s going to be fairly busy there but we are in part going for the experience and knowledge. We don’t necessarily expect to bring home two elk our first time for this kind of trip but we just want to have a good time

Been a few years since I have hunted the north side of the river, but yes it will be busy. Usually busiest first and last two weeks second week always seems to be less people around. If you don't plan to hunt the willows down below get high and find a good place to see alot of country. Make sure your there before sun up.

The road to Slippery Ann is gravel and has always been drivable for me even when wet. Your camper and truck will get pretty muddy though. Usually getting in to Rock Creek is not a problem either but occasionally one of the creek crossings gets washed out. I would call the CMR office before you leave and get a road report. The Slippery Ann campground can get busy, but it is a nice spot and has plenty of shade and river access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back