NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Another Goose Day

fishing4sanity

The geese are back! We had geese in our area, then the weather got warm and they seemed to all leave, well it's turned fairly cold again and the geese have been showing up again. This area has specified goose days (Sunday, Wednesday & Saturday) so my sons had to watch the geese and wait. My wife had shoulder surgery on Monday and so I was stuck running her back and forth to phys. therapy, but my 3 sons and my brother had a good morning over decoys. Hopefully the birds are still around Saturday and I'll get a shot.:D

Attachments

• IMG_9588.jpg
    IMG_9588.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Man, congrats on a great shoot! Hope you get your chance. Lots of great smoked jerky there.

Pivot irrigated wheat field? Do you have permanant type pit blind? Good work boys.

Hopefully the birds are still around Saturday and I'll get a shot.

I got a question, you are from eastern Washington which is the Pacific flyway. Geese closes tomorrow Friday the 13th, around here the season will be over. Do they have a special area that it is extended since it is Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday? If so you are lucky to be hunting on Saturday and good luck to you.

kansasdad, that's an irrigated bluegrass field, we grow a lot of bluegrass for seed production. The day of the pic they were hunting from a blind at the pivot point, we also use laydown blinds, pits, or find an edge of the field with some extra cover and hide.

jerrym, this hunt is in eastern WA and I think the season closes Jan. 28. The designated goose days can be frustrating, seen many times the geese are in a certain field for a few days while you can't hunt, then when a goose day rolls around and you set up there the geese switch fields. I wish the geese would follow the plan more often.:confused:

jerrym, this hunt is in eastern WA and I think the season closes Jan. 28. The designated goose days can be frustrating, seen many times the geese are in a certain field for a few days while you can't hunt, then when a goose day rolls around and you set up there the geese switch fields. I wish the geese would follow the plan more often.:confused:

Yeah I hear you, we got a couple new fields to hunt this year and one that I thought would fizzle out after we hunted it, stayed productive the whole year, and I really didn't see why the geese liked it so much but they were always there. The other field was good the first time. We let it rest and went back and no flocks would decoy but we got singles and doubles even months later when we got in fresh migrating geese we only got singles and doubles.

We went north and as soon as we ditched our layout blinds and got in a ditch, we limited out in about an hour. Decoying geese is a weird thing, and I am no expert but it is sure fun. Thank God for the geese this year as the ducks were few and far between, just one nice push of gaddies, widgeon, and mallards in mid November but that was short lived.

Good luck this weekend I will be putting my stuff away for another year :(

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back