Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another fine NM oryx on the ground

Brentc

After striking out on all of my applications earlier this year, I was a little worried about how this year's hunting season would play out. Thankfully, I got a couple fortuitous phone calls from both Utah for a pronghorn tag and NM for a population management Oryx tag on the Dona Ana range. I made both tags count by killing an 80" pronghorn in September followed up with a beautiful oryx in NM last Saturday. The most important part is the fabulous meat my family and I get to enjoy for the rest of the year. God is good.

Oryx.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a tremendous oryx!! And on a depredation hunt, congrats!

And great photo!

That's fantastic! Excellent pic and enjoy all that oryx meat. I tried some jerky from one a few years back and it was tasty stuff.

After striking out on all of my applications earlier this year, I was a little worried about how this year's hunting season would play out. Thankfully, I got a couple fortuitous phone calls from both Utah for a pronghorn tag and NM for a population management Oryx tag on the Dona Ana range. I made both tags count by killing an 80" pronghorn in September followed up with a 40+" oryx in NM last Saturday. The most important part is the fabulous meat my family and I get to enjoy for the rest of the year. God is good.
View attachment 204656
A forty inch cow is a real dandy! Mine is 36" and nothing to scoff at. Still trying to talk the farmer in South Africa into giving up a very special bull he claims is 44". I have seen that monster and I believe he's at least 44"! That old boy has been on the property several years and it may be be time to get in some fresh genes. However Greg has a huge farm and lots of gemsbuck so it may not be that critical yet. My PH is working on it. That bull is very spooky and generally keeps his gals in the more barren parts so it would be a challenge.

You have the best eating and, in my opinion, some of the worst. I finally got to eat gemsbuck this last trip. Unbelievable! Best red meat these lips have ever touched, no doubt about it. Never been a fan of pronghorn. In the right marinade and over the BBQ it can be quite palatable. But dog turds can be tasty given the same treatment. Or so my dad told me. I think he was kidding ... but maybe not. He did grow up during the Depression.

Back