Another Backyard Buck

COEngineer

I do most of my hunting in steep mountains miles from anywhere, but my buddy just built a house in the burbs and I had the perfect number of preference points (zero) for this particular unit, so I went for it, mostly with the thought that if the rest of my hunts don't pan out, I'll arrow a big fat doe to fill the freezer. My buddy, however, was set on me killing a buck and I think he enjoyed watching for deer and sending me pictures of all the bucks that walked through his property over the past six months more than anything else. It wasn't a bad excuse to hang out at his place for coffee in the morning or chewing the cud after work in the evening.

This was my first suburban (ex-urban? mostly 5-acre lots) hunt and it was definitely different. I spent at least as much time worrying about where the deer was going to run if he didn't drop within 50 yds of where I shot him (my buddy is on good terms with about half of the neighbors, but hasn't met the other half of them), being blinded by headlights from the nearest road, having the neighbors watching me from their windows, etc. On the flip side, I definitely got buck fever in the 40 minutes leading up to getting a shot. I'm still struggling between, "This buck is a trophy" and "It was hardly a hunt."

I have to say, I have never skinned a deer before that was actually sticky with buck juice. He stank and his legs and belly were just covered in what I assume was a mixture of urine and scent gland secretions.

We had never seen this buck until about 10 minutes before I shot him. He brought his girls to check him out before we started field dressing.
20221203_bigGiantBuckKids.jpg

20221203_bigGiantBuck2.jpg20221203_bigGiantBuck.jpg

Fun. Good job. We are in the same type of community. Funny to hear your concerns as I always think about the same things.

7 years in and we still have not shot one. My wife almost did this year on a buck we estimate is 7 or 8. Maybe next year.

Hope you had those girls wash their hands. You did good. People shoot high fence bucks all the time and make up stories about carrying them out of big canyons.

Kind of a side note and for my future reference, but we had 71 lbs of trim meat to grind, which does not include the backstraps, tenderloins, a few roasts or about 10 lbs worth of meat we sliced for jerky. So, meat in the freezer has to be right around 100 lbs.

Reactions: trb
Sweet buck, congratulations! I love big 3x3s, and that has got to be the tallest one I have ever seen.

@COEngineer, great buck, glad you got the kids in on it, I did the same thing this year. But before we get too far removed from this fall remind me to tell you a story about how they can run off a 5-acre lot...

Back