Another 300 Magnum

The Military did a lot of testing on this and it met their needs. They ordered a ton of them from Barret to start replacing all of the sniper rifles. So like it or not it is here to stay. Likely the next craze once more ammo is available from different manufacturers. It will give the Creedmoor haters something else to complain about!

Has anyone tried out the new 300 PRC? Here is an informative article on the long range caliber. According to Hornady's web page there are several rifle manufacturers offering the new caliber. Do we need another 300 magnum and will last? Any thoughts?

Sorry, missed your embed, didn't mean to duplicate info. Cool round for someone looking to go .30's. Hard to beat the venerables tho....

If anyone wants to exceed the 300 Win Mag or 308 Norma get the 300 Weatherby Mag. It's been around since the 40s. GJ

I listened to a Team Vtac podcast and they discussed this a while back. They mentioned that the Military tested it against the 300 Weatherby Mag and it won out due to the Weatherby’s faults at angles. Apparently at steep angles the Weatherby case capacity allows the optimal charge to fall forward in the case leaving a gap between the powder and primer spark. Which led to inconsistent firing. That was it’s death sentence for a sniper rifle. The 300 PRC case is full at its optimal charge and did have the same problem. There was a lot of good info on that podcast. The Army really put it thru it’s paces and it came out with high marks across the board. Hard to beat that if looking for a 300.

However, For hunting its advantage would only apply if you were hunting canyon country. Otherwise I doubt you would ever notice it.

300 Norma won SOCOM not prc and 308 Norma wasn't even considered from what I was told. 308 Norma been around a long time and basically obsolete not same as 300norma mag

There was a recent debate about big .300's on LRH. Most shooters would build a RUM. mtmuley

300 Norma won SOCOM not prc and 308 Norma wasn't even considered from what I was told. 308 Norma been around a long time and basically obsolete not same as 300norma mag

Not quite, the MRAD contract covers 4 calibers to include a unannounced amount of 300 PRC. Here is a link to the Podcast I referenced earlier, they talk about it after introductions till around 8 min or so.

Here is the contract in Military times: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...-this-formidable-new-sniper-rifle-in-300-prc/

ASR choose 300NM early 2016. That contract is DOD article mentioned multiple calibers being part of requirement, ASR will be in 338NM, 300NM and 308win. and the contract is for the rifle platform from Barrett, calibers have been selected. I don't know who in DOD uses a PRC or basically anything hornady? I know they submitted the 300PRC into the competition but that competition has been over for couple years. heard a big reason 300NM won was lapua is making brass for it. That what seems to hamper the RUM and the PRC. The 300NM is interesting and when u get chance read up on it pretty capable chambering! Not more so than a RUM or WBY but add the accuracy, brass and now Berger tactical ammo(lapua brass) it's impressive

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back