MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anchorage Fur Rondy fur auction

Dave N

The wife and I are going BACK to Alaska week after next. Hanging out with the locals, exploring the scenic areas, meeting a few people, and just enjoying ourselves. We'll be going to the Fur Rondy in Anchorage and HOPING there is enough snow by then to have the Iditarod go off as scheduled and not move it around so we miss it. Anyone from the area go to Rondy? I'm wondering about the fur auction and if a guy can pick up some stuff at a good price or not. Have no clue what to expect or what will be there. Not a rich guy by any means but we have been "transforming" our house into a hunting lodge and a couple pelts would add to the atmosphere. If anyone has any knowledge of the auction, or what fur prices are this winter, it would be a great help before we get there.

Thanks!

I usually wander down to the fur auction each year. My impression is nothing of real value ever goes as cheaply as you might think. Many items have a set price and I've seen lots of bids pulled when the minimum wasn't met.

I'm assuming the pelts at the auction will only be stretched and dried. Meaning they would have to be sent off to get tanned. It might be easier to buy a tanned pelt from a different source from your home unless your wanting one from that local to remember the experience.

I usually wander down to the fur auction each year. My impression is nothing of real value ever goes as cheaply as you might think. Many items have a set price and I've seen lots of bids pulled when the minimum wasn't met.

Kind of what I was thinking. Why let it go at auction when the buyer will pay more? I'll more than likely go anyway to at least see what goes on.

Dave,

I was at the auction last year for a while. Some of the stuff that goes "cheap" isn't high quality fur to be used for coats/clothing, but would still look great hanging on the wall for decoration. Its can go for about 30-50% less depending.

Kind of what I was thinking. Why let it go at auction when the buyer will pay more? I'll more than likely go anyway to at least see what goes on.

Yep, doesn't hurt to attend if you're in the area anyway. Never know what you might find of interest. Also depends on what you're looking for. Smaller stuff like fox, mink, martin, etc might be easy to pick up. If you're looking for a wolf or wolverine, bring the checkbook ;) My impression of most of the beaver pelts I saw auctioned was they sold for the same price I could buy them for at the Fur Exchange in town.

I got some yotes,red fox,muskrat and coon pelts I haven't sold yet.my buddy is a taxidermist and could tan them too.Pm me if you want some pelts like this

I actually just heard it will be one of the biggest lots in Rondy history, should be a bunch to look at.

Thanks guys! Sounds like I need to get my butt over there and see what they have. I think it starts right around the same time as the start of the Iditarod launch. Planning on being there for that since the restart sounds like it's getting moved to Fairbanks. I'll have to check the schedule and see what we can get accomplished. Thanks for all the info!

Back