An embarrassing question about bore cleaning...

Dougfirtree

Hi all,

I feel stupid asking this question, but I'm pretty confused. For years, I've cleaned my rifles with a combination of jags, brushes and Hoppes patches. The patches were made of this very thin, gauzy and yet tough material. For my 7mm barrel, I have a .277 cal jag and some .284 cal brushes. The patches I was buying were (I believe), .277-.35 cal patches.
At this point, the only Hoppes patches (and the only patches I ever see in stores), are made of cotton. Much thicker than the gauzy ones. So, now, If I put a .277-.35 cal patch on a .277 cal jag, I cannot push it through a .284 cal barrel..... What is going on? I think my jags are Hoppes brand as well, though I haven't saved the packaging. This just seems so weird to me, but as far as I know, the patches I used to use do not exist any more. I know I could probably get a 6.5mm jag, but what the heck is going on?!

I don’t know if this will help, but I have approximately 10 lifetime supplies of 1 3/4” patches and then I bought a 6.5 based rifle and discovered the need for 1 5/8” patches. Maybe your jag is ok, but your patches are too big?

I just recently ran out of the guaze type from an old hoppes kit and had the same problem. Cut the patch square to the maximum dimensions that will pass through. The right size can be ordered on Amazon for cheap and two day shipping with Prime.

Yeah, there is a lot(well not really a lot) of patch/jag combinations out there. I feel your pain

I don’t know if this will help, but I have approximately 10 lifetime supplies of 1 3/4” patches and then I bought a 6.5 based rifle and discovered the need for 1 5/8” patches. Maybe your jag is ok, but your patches are too big?

I don't have any trouble using 1 3/4 patches in a 6.5mm; I like the pro Shot patches and a Bore Tech jag.

Hi all,

I feel stupid asking this question, but I'm pretty confused. For years, I've cleaned my rifles with a combination of jags, brushes and Hoppes patches. The patches were made of this very thin, gauzy and yet tough material. For my 7mm barrel, I have a .277 cal jag and some .284 cal brushes. The patches I was buying were (I believe), .277-.35 cal patches.
At this point, the only Hoppes patches (and the only patches I ever see in stores), are made of cotton. Much thicker than the gauzy ones. So, now, If I put a .277-.35 cal patch on a .277 cal jag, I cannot push it through a .284 cal barrel..... What is going on? I think my jags are Hoppes brand as well, though I haven't saved the packaging. This just seems so weird to me, but as far as I know, the patches I used to use do not exist any more. I know I could probably get a 6.5mm jag, but what the heck is going on?!

Throw the Hoppes and brushes in the trash can. One thing is that your jag is too big so try a smaller one. I use the Accelerator cleaner in conjunction with their Wipeout Patchout. I like Pro shot patches and the non-copper/brass Bore Tech jags. For .25 and .26 cal I use 1 1/8 inch loose patches followed by 1 3/4 or 1 1/2 tight patches. Run a loose patch of accelerator thru the bore followed by a loose patch of wipeuot. Let set for about 5 minutes and then use a tight patch with a little 90% rubbing alcohol or charcoal starter on it followed by a dry tight patch. Repeat as needed. A drop of accelerator on a square of TP cleans the muzzle.

7XU6PdU.jpg

I've made my own patch's for years out of old t-shirt's. Have no idea the size just learned to eyeball them. Well several years ago I got to feeling rich and bought patch's off Amzon. They were some kind of material I don't recognize but they work, sort of. They are double layer and to work in my 6.5 barrels I have to use just one layer. Just found some I don't remember getting that look to be made of the same stuff, Birchwood Casey. They are for 270 to 30 cal and I see the size marked on them is 1 1/2" First time I ever noticed the size! Something I like to do and haven't a clue if it works is use a worn ot copper brush and wrap a patch around it soak with cleaning solvent and run it through the barrel. I suspect people make to big a deal of cleaning. I have used different cleaner's over the years but always end up back with Hoppe's #9, the original stuff. I like the smell! For patch's I did cut my own from t-shirt's for a lot of years. Never had a gun fail me for any reason that might be linked to cleaning. Simply take the patches that are to big and a pair of scissors and make them fit. Problem solved! Oh one more thing. I was cleaning my 30-06 to go to cast bullet's and was told all the copper fouling had to come out. I got Sweet's and cleaned till I though my arms would fall off and still got sign's of fouling. Well turns out what I was seeing was the reaction of Sweet's on the copper brush! I've gone to nylon brush's. Used to be I could clean a barrel with Hoppe's and use a wire brush and tink I got it clean and the next morning there was the copper fouling coming out on a patch. I'm thinking it was fouling that was caused by the brush! Anyway, just cut your patch's down to fit!

Walmart usually carries a jag kit that has multiple sizes in it to cover all calibers and pretty much solved my issue with patch size long ago.
Now I can use just about any patch size by just going up or down in jag size.
A must have item for anyone who shoots often and cleans often.

I've made my own patch's for years out of old t-shirt's. Have no idea the size just learned to eyeball them. Well several years ago I got to feeling rich and bought patch's off Amzon. They were some kind of material I don't recognize but they work, sort of. They are double layer and to work in my 6.5 barrels I have to use just one layer. Just found some I don't remember getting that look to be made of the same stuff, Birchwood Casey. They are for 270 to 30 cal and I see the size marked on them is 1 1/2" First time I ever noticed the size! Something I like to do and haven't a clue if it works is use a worn ot copper brush and wrap a patch around it soak with cleaning solvent and run it through the barrel. I suspect people make to big a deal of cleaning. I have used different cleaner's over the years but always end up back with Hoppe's #9, the original stuff. I like the smell! For patch's I did cut my own from t-shirt's for a lot of years. Never had a gun fail me for any reason that might be linked to cleaning. Simply take the patches that are to big and a pair of scissors and make them fit. Problem solved! Oh one more thing. I was cleaning my 30-06 to go to cast bullet's and was told all the copper fouling had to come out. I got Sweet's and cleaned till I though my arms would fall off and still got sign's of fouling. Well turns out what I was seeing was the reaction of Sweet's on the copper brush! I've gone to nylon brush's. Used to be I could clean a barrel with Hoppe's and use a wire brush and tink I got it clean and the next morning there was the copper fouling coming out on a patch. I'm thinking it was fouling that was caused by the brush! Anyway, just cut your patch's down to fit!

One good reason to use stainless steel jags. Frankly I see little point to spend hours removing copper only to have it right back in there after a few shots. Make sure that your brush/es [if you use them] and jags aren't giving false signals that there's copper in the bore. Don't care for the odor of Hoppes.

I've run into this same problem more than once. Just keep trying different things until there's a jag/patch combo that will push down the bore. Cotton patches are all different thicknesses depending on who makes them, ones probably not particularly better than another.

I've been using some store bought square patches that come in the ziplock bags of 200 or more. That and Hoppes #9.
My rifle has to be really out of wack for me to scrub the copper out.

Well, I guess I'm glad to hear that others have had the issue. Seems very fixable, but I still say the folks at Hoppes should be hanging their heads a little about this. Thanks for the responses.

Back