Caribou Gear Tarp

Ammo prices

I went to the local gun store to buy 270. The guy behind the counter was good enough to sell me two boxes from his stash. Never thought rifle ammo would be hard to come by.

Or the idiots who don’t understand how the legislative process works...

It’s like TP in April, nothing to do with reality, bunch of silly people hoarding.
TP is a thing again sells out in the first hour of business every day at Costco

I guess I've been a "hoarder" for a long time. I always buy more than I need when the opportunity presents. I've been lucky to know people that can help. Matter of fact, my bud with a Dillon is about to get a call after hunting season. mtmuley

Hoarding is not the cause on its own. Unless you been living under a rock you would know gun sales are at all time high. It's hard to even find scopes in a good selection. As far as anyone selling ammo for twice the price, I also would not expect someone to sell Amazon stock at 2018 prices

Here's the way I see the causes of the problem: politics/election year, rona, riots/unrest. People are scared, don't know what's going to happen and want to get outside.

At a local store yesterday, I saw a 50 rd (not 500 rd) box of Remington Thunderbolt 22 LRs for over $10. I had to take a second look at the price tag on the shelf to make sure it was for that ammo. It was.

Found primers, bullets & powder.
Have decent supply of 22lr, 22 Mag.
Need to get into shotgun reloading, before someone realizes they are firearms too.

When you order ammo and it comes by the pallet you’re doing it right. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I kept IMR in business in the days of cheap ammo and powder.

Panic buyers is probably a better term than hoarders. I have a couple pounds of extra powder on hand, but I'm not clearing the shelves of everything I can find just because the usual election year "the sky is falling" rhetoric.

I pretty much have about all I could ever go through in my lifetime except maybe for shot shells. No need for me to go out and buy any more. If I ever start playing around and shooting a lot more then I may keep my eyes open for some. It will make quite a heavy load if I ever move!

I was in a local gun shop on Thursday to search for a few reloading items. I buy what I need and leave the rest for others to do the same. Hence I can’t find anything I need now. They had a pretty good selection of 308 and 7mm and a few others, mostly in Hornady and Berger. Some Sierra and some Speer. There was a guy there, another customer that every time I would lean in to read the label, he would crowd me. I would move away and look at something else and wait for him to go away. He was talking on the phone to someone about the selection available. He had no clue what he was looking at nor about reloading. He was asking some pretty stupid questions on the phone. Soon, he grabbed a cart and started raking bullets into it. Cleaned out the shelf. He did not even know what he was buying. Fortunately for me, I did not need any of what he took. But that limits others who may have looking for a box or two. That attitude is part of the problem and demonstrates a lack of respect for others.

I haven’t looked in probably 6 months, seems it’s a little crazy out there for sure.

The government isn't completely blameless here. Their failure to quell the riots has driven up demand, and the pointless COVID lockdowns have hurt both production and transportation. After all, how can anybody really be a "hoarder" now? I hoarded ammo last year; haven't been able to do it since. I feel for the new buyers. Worse still, Internet gun people are giving out terrible advice, like "Buy obscure calibers", even though those too are now in short supply. How much is granny going to want that $1,200 1911 chambered in 10mm nine months from now?

What I never thought I would see is a shortage of hunting ammo. I know deer hunters that cannot find .308 hunting ammo! Even 6.5 Hipster is getting dear. We didn't see this in 2013 as I recall. Out here (east, and no, I'm not a liberal) it hasn't peaked yet.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back