Ammo Availability .30-06 Winchester brand

Cornbread

Here we are, almost 2 years into this Covid crap and ammo is still non-existent. All I see is just a bunch of foreign made ammo. Does anybody else see this. The manufacturers keep claiming they are pumping it out but where the hell is it? Just trying to find Winchester premium brand with 165 grain accubonds or even Triple shocks ain't there. There are all these B.S. videos on Youtube by doofuses that cruise stores showing junk ammo. I feel like we are being conned. I happen to find in |March and then June ammo on the Federal site, premium 160 grain accubonds and Triple shocks which shoot really well in my custom 7MM Mag. I bought 5 boxes of the TTX in March and then 6 boxes of the accubonds in June. But what a fridge deal at $64 a box....like gold. At least not $90-100 a box. I had to vent. My nephew in Michigan shoots a ton of 9mm and .223 for shooting classes he takes and he's had orders in from April 2020 for 1000s of rounds and none have been filled.

Location definitely has something to do with it. I went to a local Walmart the other day to grab a couple of things in the paint and hardware section. Walked past the sporting goods counter and not a box of anything to be found as far as ammunition goes. My daughters boyfriend lives a little over two hours north and his local Walmart had hunting rifle ammo and enough steel shotgun shells to get him through a season worth of duck hunts. My niece and her husband stopped at a larger sporting goods store in Montana and she said shelves were fairly stocked last month. They weren’t greedy, just grabbed a couple of extra boxes for his rifle.

Based on what I’ve seen here, I’m pretty sure there are a few people who have nothing better to do than drive the circuit, hitting all the stores and clearing out the shelves. Hopefully that will slow down. I have seen adds for ammo on a local forum not getting the sales they were last year. Hopefully that’s a sign people are done with the flippers trying make a massive profit.

We were in the Western Drug in Eagar AZ mid Oct. and I asked the lady at the gun counter what their situation was as far as ammo. She said when ever the get a shipment in the morning it usually gets wiped out by that evening once word gets out.
I think it's just hoarding again just like it has been. The same people buying all they can whether they need it or not.
My brothers' neighbor probably has 40,000 to 50,000 rounds of .22 which he has been buying since the last democratic administration. Yeah he's one of those. :(The thing is he hasn't shot any of that ammo since he started hoarding it in 2008.

If you are mad at so called "hoarders", you weren't prepared. mtmuley
Lots of different factors at play but folks buying retail stores out and then gouging online are definitely part of the issue.

Folks probably don't want to hear this but if stores sold ammo at "market rate" eventually folks would think twice about buying and stuff and or wouldn't have a profit margin and ammo would show up back on the shelves... and eventually the price could be lowered when there was more inventory.
1636756782350.png

Location definitely has something to do with it.
Yeah, I've had a rough time finding non-toxic for waterfowl... steel, bismuth, whatever... but holy smokes do we have slugs in stock. Pretty much the only shotgun ammo they had, and in boxes of 25 nevertheless which I hadn't seen before 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 1636756712536.png
    1636756712536.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 5
Lots of different factors at play but folks buying retail stores out and then gouging online are definitely part of the issue.

Folks probably don't want to hear this but if stores sold ammo at "market rate" eventually folks would think twice about buying and stuff and or wouldn't have a profit margin and ammo would show up back on the shelves... and eventually the price could be lowered when there was more inventory.
View attachment 201558

Yeah, I've had a rough time finding non-toxic for waterfowl... steel, bismuth, whatever... but holy smokes do we have slugs in stock. Pretty much the only shotgun ammo they had, and in boxes of 25 nevertheless which I hadn't seen before 🤷‍♂️
I was prepared. mtmuley

It’s not so much people are “hoarding” but there’s the additional factor that more people are buying guns at record rates as well.

As far as being prepared, if you don’t have enough, there’s only you to blame. I have “more than enough“ but also bought a ton of it 10-15 years ago when it was much cheaper .

I still have 30-06 ammo from the Korean War that I shoot. Ammo doesn’t have a shelf life.

Inflation is very bad because it causes resources to flow away from productive behaviors to non-productive behaviors, i.e hoarding ammo, gold, silver, flipping houses etc and not working!!

One solution about the ammo crisis I came up with I have to pat myself n the back. I was short on Winchester Supreme ammo for my Remington 700. The gun always shot Federal Gold Medal Match ammo extremely well, like 0.5 inch groups. I had 9 boxes of it that 2 years ago I thought I might sell for $20/box. Of course, ya can't use match ammo for hunting. So I asked a contact that has a reloading business (federally licensed) down in Cape Canaveral if he could switch bullets for me. Sure, as long as I stick to the same weight grain or less. So it was loaded with 168 grain match bullets, and I happen to find a 168 grain Barnes Tipped Triple shock for $1 a bouwett. Bruce charged me 50 cent a round to make the switch. So I ended up paying $35 a box to get awesome ammo. I shot 7/8" groups. Good enough for me. It was with the dough. No longer short on Winchester ammo. Yippee.

Back