Ammo and the 2021 season

In the last 3 days I have come across 2 boxes of the 270 ammo I've been using the last 3 season life is back on track to not worry about the upcoming season

I bought my 2021 hunting rounds a year ago. 2 boxes of Barnes 30.06. Enough to check zero and have extra for the next couple of years..... it's the 6.5 CM rounds for my 12 year old to practice with this summer so he's ready for his first hunt that I'm struggling to get. Bad year to purchase a new caliber!
I see 6.5 CM factory loads every time I’m in My local sportsman’s warehouse. Not so much for reloading components either. A lot of 25/06 for some reason too.

My local farm/hardware store that also sells guns, keeps two boxes behind every rifle that is for sale. Some people get a little irate that they wont just sell them the ammo but every new rifle deserves ammo. Good on their part I think. I have heard of many stories of people not being able to find ammo last year. Good Samaritans might think to help the young and the old out with that.

Local store. Wish I had a 25.06

Attachments

• 64A76B12-D4AC-41D6-9322-97E5E9C52D28.jpeg
    64A76B12-D4AC-41D6-9322-97E5E9C52D28.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
This too shall pass.

Production dropped because of covid, but now the wheels of capitalism have resulted in more investment in people and machinery to crank out ammo and components.
I wish I could share your optimism, I doubt things will get any better before hunting season (6 months) than they are now. There are other factors at play here in America. Canada and Europe aren't experiencing the ammo/component shortages that we are. JMO

I see 6.5 CM factory loads every time I’m in My local sportsman’s warehouse. Not so much for reloading components either. A lot of 25/06 for some reason too.
Was the same at a SW here for awhile; plenty of .25-06 ammo.

Last edited:
ammoseek.com has worked great for me. I've found ammo at reasonable prices. Set up the alerts and be ready to buy when one hits your email.

I wanted to switch to copper after last season so used up what I had, bad timing. Starting back in January I set up ammoseek for what I was looking for and started getting hits. I'm now set for this season and will be able to practice plenty this spring/summer. I don't feel like I've paid more than a few dollars more than what I would have last year although you have to wait and watch for the deals.

In the last two months I've purchased enough powder, primers, brass, and bullets to load 1,000 rounds for my 7STW. Finished up this morning with 250 140 ttsx's.
If you need components I'd have a half dozen tabs set to open on those components at various outlets every time you start your browser and re check frequently.
Love my 7STW, and it loves heavy/love bullets. What's your overall length on the 140 TTSX?

Last season I picked up 2 boxes of ammo for each of my hunting rifles, whew!!!!! I can't find anything on local shelves for anything. Luckily I had picked up a bit of powder, primers, shells and bullets last year as well. I have been working up progressions for my 280 Rem and my 243 Win the last few days. I'm holding off on the 284 HT because I still have two boxes and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep loading the 150 gr bullets or switch to a smaller gr to use more for a small game application.

I was just thinking. Years ago, before reloading, I could always find ammo but often couldn't afford enough to shoot much. Couldn't afford to get into reloading at the time so to be able to shoot more I started out with a Lee loader. Didn't have any rifle's going under an inch in those days but I did have ammo that was more than accurate enough to hunt with and practice with. No idea what that Lee loader sells for today or if you can even get it but then it was about $9! In times like these that little tool with a Lee bullet mold and a bunch of lead would allow you to shoot and hunt about all you wanted. I'm certain you could load cast with it. I'm pretty short on powder these days but lots of 25 cal bullets and several hundred 6.5 and 30 cal box's of bullet's. But the good news is my inexpensive Lee mold and about a ton of lead I collected over the years will keep me shooting a long time. Ya know, I believe that is something for non reloaders to think about, inexpensive way to get ammo if that Lee loader is still made. Won't help with powder and primer's but it's a start. The powder's I use mostly for my 30 cal rifles are H414 which I have an 8# jug of and Red Dot which I have a very old 10# can. Powder usage is way down with the reduced loads but of course also is shooting range. lot less powder used and if you can find scrap lead, free bullet's!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back