Ammo and the 2021 season

Blueranger

So just for giggles, I went on to Sportsman's Warehouse site this morning and search rifle ammo, and selected, "Exclude out of stock". One item came up, 416 Weatherby ammo. I know, for me, last year I switch between 3 different rifles prepping for my deer tag here in Colorado. I switch because I kept running out of ammo for a particular cartridge in my area. I end up finding a herd of 27 deer, and then hit low on a deer. I watched the buck limp over to private land and ended my season. I'm not saying it wasn't my bad shot, but maybe if I had been practicing at the range with that rifle/ammo combo the whole time, rather than having to change thing weeks before my hunt, maybe I would have had a different outcome. All that to say, I don't think the ammo (or reloading) issue is going to get much better in the months to come. Is there anyone out there changing their plans/expectations due to limited ammo now or in the coming months?

Take care and shoot straight.

Others have suggested this, but ammoseek.com works pretty well. I would also get on websites that do in stock notifications. Worked for me.

There is that components trade thread on here you guys might try there

I overpaid, but secured enough components to eek through 2021 if I manage to draw anything. The new rifle build may go ammo-less for a while though.

The real question is, why have you not already purchased a 416 Wby rifle to take advantage of the ammo “surplus”?

Biggest actual impact for me is the limitations on practicing due to ammo convenience. I didn’t take action on the scarcity because I thought I had more than I actually do. Once I got my butt in gear I just barely caught the tail end of primer availability. We’re good to weather the storm, but I am spending more free time reloading for future shooting, where in the past I’ve identified a specific weekend to shoot them load for that weekend or that hunt. Just time management and keeping an eye on component availability. 243 and 30-30 were my biggest concerns for the kids, but we’re good on those now.

I had a pretty good supply when the shortages began. I have purchased some ammo for our hunting rifles on a popular auction site over the past couple of months. We are supplied now for at least 4 years of practice and hunting needs. I paid probably $10.00 per box over the normal costs, but we now have some piece of mind. I still watch the auction site and observed there is still ammo available.

I bought my 2021 hunting rounds a year ago. 2 boxes of Barnes 30.06. Enough to check zero and have extra for the next couple of years..... it's the 6.5 CM rounds for my 12 year old to practice with this summer so he's ready for his first hunt that I'm struggling to get. Bad year to purchase a new caliber!

You know, Blueranger, you may be right. For 2021 at least, folks that didn't have a reserve and weren't long term hunters may indeed not have enough ammo to get enough practice from actual field positions to make ethical shots. Once you zero, get off the bench and use sling and sticks (or bipod, pack, etc.). Dry firing helps too.

I reload as well, but powder and primers are in short supply as well, and bullet selection is hit or miss. Goood luck.
Idk, either I’ve had what I needed already(which a lot of it I did) or I’ve just gotten lucky finding stuff that I need. I’ve gotten GMM LR Mag primers since this thing started, I just last week bought 1k GMM LP primers. I’ve been finding powders I need. I even bought 4lbs of Retumbo a couple months ago, that was after I bought 4lbs of 8133 to use because I couldn’t find Retumbo. Sure, stuff is harder to find than it was but I’ve been finding everything I need.

I hope for people that already reload this will teach them to have a couple thousand primers for their “important” guns in stock at all times. I haven’t missed a beat in my reloading/shooting all year and that includes 4 new guns. The only thing I want that I can’t find is 6.5 Grendel brass.

I reload as well, but powder and primers are in short supply as well, and bullet selection is hit or miss. Goood luck.
I'm in good shape on components. I have helped a few here and on other boards with bullets. I kinda don't like to buy stuff unless I know someone wants it. At some stores in the area there are certain things on the shelf for weeks. For one you can't use most centerfire rifles for hunting here. 6.5mm/.264 stuff seems to go fast. A couple of stores have Barnes .257 100 grain TTSX bullets last I looked.

The ammo situation isn't going change hunting plans,but it sure has changed my mind on load development and how much shooting I do.

I've got more than enough bullet's and primer's to get me through a bunch of years hunting if need be. Powder is a bit short though, like I'm super short! But I have an 8# can of Red Dot and about a ton of lead ingot's and a mold for both 150gr and 180gr 30 cal bullet's. If I even hunt this year it'll probably be with cast bullet's!!

What I worry about the most is all of the young hunters and new hunters who can't find ammo to practice with and learn how to shoot. I have enough to get by, because I don't have to shoot. A lot of people need the practice.

In the last two months I've purchased enough powder, primers, brass, and bullets to load 1,000 rounds for my 7STW. Finished up this morning with 250 140 ttsx's.
If you need components I'd have a half dozen tabs set to open on those components at various outlets every time you start your browser and re check frequently.

No problem here. Deer hunting here in Michigan is all of the hunting that I do. I have 2 boxes of ammo for my .257 Wby. mag., 7mm Remingtion mag., .300 Wby. mag., and 2 boxes of .264 Win. mag. ordered, for my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight S.S. .264 Win. mag., which will be arriving shortly. Felt real lucky to find the .264 Win. mag. ammo on Gun Broker...Nosler Factory 130 gr. Accubond for $74.99/box. Cabela's and Midway didn't have any .264 Win. mag. ammo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back