Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ammo and Optics for 7mm-08

My wife has a Browning AB3 in 7mm-08. We tried a LOT of different ammo out of it before we found one that it really liked. It shot the Hornady 120gr reduced recoil very well and the Barnes 120gr TTSX was right there with it. All of the 140gr that we tried would give a flyer in a 4 shot group.
For a scope look at the VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS

To be honest I’ve never really thought about the lead-free options and don’t know a lot about the reasons why people choose them. I assume for environmental and health reasons, but are there other pros (or cons) to lead free bullets?
Those of us that live and hunt in California have been shooting lead free in the Condor Range for years. Now the rest of the state requires lead free so it is our new normal. When I hunted the condor range my 7-08 was my lead free gun. It shoots almost all major brands of lead free very accurately. My other rifles are very picky and finding a lead free factory load that they like was a struggle. If you are interested in shooting lead free you might be lucky and your 7-08 will shoot them well. My son's 7-08 is like mine and shoots most major brands of lead free ammo well.
As far as bullet performance on deer I have never had a problem. I probably have shot Barnes and Federal Trophy Copper the most and have not lost an animal while shooting lead free. In my experience they may not expand as rapidly as some conventional projectiles and I typically get a complete pass thru so I don't believe I have recovered a bullet from an animal yet. Some have dropped in their tracks and others have gone 25 yards or so but that has always been the case. Others have said that they have lost deer because the non toxic did not expand rapidly and the animals were never recovered. I suppose that has happened but it has not happened to anyone in our hunting group. Right now I am shooting 3 different lead free loads. Federal Trophy copper, Hornady GMX, and Barnes in my hunting rifles. I have not taken an animal with the GMX but one gun likes it a lot and I am not too worried about on game performance with that round. I would say that if you are interested in lead free and your gun shoots it well that is the direction I would go. I should warn you that you can spend more money on chasing that perfect lead free factory load than you spent on the gun. I know I have in one of my rifles.

I made the decision to change all of my rifles to lead free about 4 years ago and my biggest problem has been finding the factory ammo locally.

To be honest I’ve never really thought about the lead-free options and don’t know a lot about the reasons why people choose them. I assume for environmental and health reasons, but are there other pros (or cons) to lead free bullets?

I have an Elk tag in one of Arizona's "condor units" this year and will be voluntarily using lead free bullets. I've been working up lead free loads for both my hunting rifles this spring.
AZ info pages

https://www.azgfd.com/gearing-up-for-a-hunt-dont-forget-the-non-lead-ammo/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-port...nongame/condor/110715_NonLead_broch_FINAL.pdf

Update: There weren’t many options at my local Cabela’s so went with Nosler Accubond in 140 gr. Hopefully the gun likes them! Still working on choosing/finding a scope and rings.

Update: There weren’t many options at my local Cabela’s so went with Nosler Accubond in 140 gr. Hopefully the gun likes them! Still working on choosing/finding a scope and rings.
Unless you live in AK, CA, CT, HA, IL, MA, NJ, NY or DC www.ammoseek.com is your friend. It really helps finding online sources for the specific ammo you are looking for at good prices.

Thanks. I’m in Canada and I’m fairly sure we can’t order guns or ammo from outside of Canada. I’m sure I can find other options from elsewhere in Canada if these Noslers don’t work out.

Definitely contact Schmalts, he has the best prices and no hassle transaction, and look at either the VX3i 2.5-8 or the 3.5-10 Leupold, either scope would be plenty for what you are looking for. The 2.5-8 is a more compact scope and the lower power is great for tight timber. I really like the Talley rings, light, clean and easy install, and solid. Good luck and have fun.

Unfortunately, with you being in Canada, Schmalts may not be able to sell optics to you.
Optics are on the State Departments "arms list". Right next to exporting nuclear submarines.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back