Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alberta Deer - Mule & Whitetail

fishing4sanity

I got an invite to hunt deer in Alberta from one of the companies we do business with. I think the invite was due mainly to my son helping a couple of their guys with gun issues and rifle builds. Either way, it was a very fun trip and my first time to Canada. We could shoot both a whitetail and a mule deer, in the end I got both and unfortunately my son didn't get a shot opportunity. We started off hunting on a Monday and I was interested in this buck, but due to distance and a hard cross-wind it wasn't meant to be (thankfully).
IMG-3479.jpgIMG-3480.jpg
On Thursday, just before dark I saw the mule deer I ended up getting. He was harassing a doe and I couldn't get a shot. The doe ran into a thicket of red willow and trees, due to very little light we decided to wait and hope for the next morning. At first shooting light we started working into the same area, as we were going up a small rise within 100 yards of where we saw him the night before he and the doe stood up out of their beds. I knew it was him and just like that the plan worked.
IMG-3584.jpgDeer 2021 logo.JPG
The next day was Saturday and we had to be headed home about noon. We went out to an area where we had been seeing both mulies and whitetails. After sitting and watching a clearing for about an hour of nothing showing up, suddenly a buck came out of the trees and quickly headed across the opening and my dreams for Canada became reality.
IMG-9188.PNGIMG_3617logo.JPG
A few more photos of an old rake and the thickets in the background where I got the whitetail, an Alberta sunrise and the world's biggest truck (according to the sign).
IMG-9103-1.jpgIMG-9056-1.jpgIMG-9135.jpgIMG-9146.jpg

I got an invite to hunt deer in Alberta from one of the companies we do business with. I think the invite was due mainly to my son helping a couple of their guys with gun issues and rifle builds. Either way, it was a very fun trip and my first time to Canada. We could shoot both a whitetail and a mule deer, in the end I got both and unfortunately my son didn't get a shot opportunity. We started off hunting on a Monday and I was interested in this buck, but due to distance and a hard cross-wind it wasn't meant to be (thankfully).
View attachment 202804View attachment 202805
On Thursday, just before dark I saw the mule deer I ended up getting. He was harassing a doe and I couldn't get a shot. The doe ran into a thicket of red willow and trees, due to very little light we decided to wait and hope for the next morning. At first shooting light we started working into the same area, as we were going up a small rise within 100 yards of where we saw him the night before he and the doe stood up out of their beds. I knew it was him and just like that the plan worked.
View attachment 202806View attachment 202807
The next day was Saturday and we had to be headed home about noon. We went out to an area where we had been seeing both mulies and whitetails. After sitting and watching a clearing for about an hour of nothing showing up, suddenly a buck came out of the trees and quickly headed across the opening and my dreams for Canada became reality.
View attachment 202808View attachment 202809
A few more photos of an old rake and the thickets in the background where I got the whitetail, an Alberta sunrise and the world's biggest truck (according to the sign).
View attachment 202811View attachment 202810View attachment 202813View attachment 202814
Nice work! If you ended up in Sparwood, I assume your hunt was near Pincher Creek? Love that area!

Wow!!!
What a great hunt with success on two REALLY fine bucks.
And then some cool photos.
Congrats on making the absolute best of your opportunity.
Love the dark horns on the muley.
Thanks for sharing....nice reward after a tough ag season im guessing.

Back