Alaskan airtaxi scheduling...

S

sparkman

Sparkman here.....What is the normal course of things resulting from contacting and scheduling an
airtaxi. I have sceduled an advance trip next Fall. We agreed on a price, relative to the particulars I
requested in the fly-in and fly-out. (hours, weights, etc.) It was a "one price for all-included" quote,
and I'm fine w/ that. The problem arose when I requested a signed document stating the things we had
agreed to....prior to my sending the healthy 2K downpayment. The man told me most people take him at his
word, and don't request such a thing. He reluctantly agreed to fax a signed statement to me, of which I
am still waiting patiently for. He made me feel as if I had insulted him. I had to explain that I didn't
know him personally, and would expect him to view me as a knowledgeable business person by requesting a
contract.
What IS the normal procedure for you guys in Alaska chartering air taxi's. Is there a standard form when
you charter services 9 months in advance? Do you make downpayments w/o written agreements? Thanx for
taking the time ...no, I won't tell you who the Airtaxi is.....Sparkman

Hey Dave, what's up. No deposit should be required. Did you ask what kind of plane this was. From my experience a Beaver on floats should run about $550 to $650 per hour and carry about 1200 pounds on the way in and about 1500 pounds on the way out. A 185 on floats should cost about $275 to $350 an hour. Will carry about 600 pounds in and about the same out. The 185 will bulk out before it will gross out. Hope you have a very succesful trip.

------------------
Allen

If he doesn't take you at your word (he requires a deposit), why should you take his? Before I send somebody two grand, you bet your arse he's gonna put something in writing. If you have dealt with the company before and are comfortable with it, then you could forego the paperwork. If he refuses to put it in wrinting, find another service. There's plenty of decent outfits available.

Completely agree! No paper no money. The transporter that I have used out of Tok does require a deposit but provides a comfirmation letter, brochure, and liability release.

Hey guys thanx for the comments...heres the update. This air taxi takes me into an area that is serviced by only TWO companies. The other company has ONE plane, and ONE pilot. Too many eggs in one basket, I can't see using him, due to his lack of backup plan when asked.
The company I am using has been referred by every other that I called. Most won't go there, and refer me to whom I am dealing/going with.
I finally got a personal letter with the stated facts,dates,weights agreement and request for deposit. Seeing how I am VERY limited to who will take me where I want to go, this letter is good enough / close enough for contract I guess. The planes used are C-185's on floats. They have a few of them, so I should be able to get in and out according to plans. I will count on several days each side of my IN/OUT dates, for the weather factor you all enjoy in your great state. thanx much guys....we shall talk more of this trip later , I'm sure :
smile.gif
Sparkman

Back