Alaska Sheep Hunting Boots

CaseyM

I'm debating on getting a different pair of boots for my upcoming dall sheep hunt this August. In the past I've used Koflach plastic boots. Pros. Liner can be used a camp boot, river crossings with glacier socks between boot liner and plastic boot, protection against rock bruises, stiff to prevent ankle roll. Cons. HEAVY!, terrible on flat ground, zero flex.

I'd like a lighter boot and something that will be good for training this summer prior to the hunt.

New boot recommendations? Please only give a recommendation if you have personally used the boot and on a similar hunt.

The small pros for plastics are far outweighed by the cons, IMO. River crossings are that common, or at least they haven't been in the last 12 years of hunting I've done in Alaska, including a sheep hunt or two each year. There are places its more common than where I hunt/have hunted, but still not that common. One or two times on a trip maybe. I've never had a rock bruise, or rolled ankles in heavy leather boots.

There are a dozens of boots that would match the goal you're after. I've used a few different models of Meindl and Lowa, and am currently wearing Asolo. Once you get in the the $300+ price point its just a matter of fit.

The small pros for plastics are far outweighed by the cons, IMO. River crossings are that common, or at least they haven't been in the last 12 years of hunting I've done in Alaska, including a sheep hunt or two each year. There are places its more common than where I hunt/have hunted, but still not that common. One or two times on a trip maybe. I've never had a rock bruise, or rolled ankles in heavy leather boots.

There are a dozens of boots that would match the goal you're after. I've used a few different models of Meindl and Lowa, and am currently wearing Asolo. Once you get in the the $300+ price point its just a matter of fit.
Bambistew...I am curious....why is your slogan "No Kuiu here"
Most of my gear is from before Kuiu even existed...I enjoy hunting with no expensive Kuiu, Sitka, etc.
first_ram.jpg

While I haven’t hunted there yet, my mountain boots are from AKU and are pretty fantastic. I had Scarpa and they were well made but felt too narrow in the toe box for me. The AKU boots are stiff but very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back