Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Alaska North Slope - Stove Fuel?

dragginwood

Hey Folks,

Hoping for some help. I've been told not to bring gas fuel to the North Slope as it doesn't burn well. Does anyone have experience directly to validate? I'd prefer not to buy another stove if I don't have to..

I've been scouring the pages on here and see various people have certainly used the MSR Pocket Rocket, which is what I have, on trips to Alaska...

Appreciate any insight.

Not sure I've heard that one before. Been to the North Slope a few times and can't say I ever gave it any thought. Took what I had, and never had a problem.

I was probably using either a MSR Pocket Rocket, or an old Coleman 2-burner stove with the Coleman fuel.

Like Frenchy, i have never had a problem, never gave it a thought. As i recall Coleman fuel was readily available.

Elevation and temps will effect stove performance, see if your stove will work for what you will be dealing with.

Never had any problems with white gas in my MSR WhisperLite in the Brooks Range. I do know awhile back air transporters had a policy about not flying with certain isobutane type fuel containers. Not sure if it was an FAA reg or what. Some air taxis followed it, some didn't. That was 2014 last I looked into it.

Never had any problems with white gas in my MSR WhisperLite in the Brooks Range. I do know awhile back air transporters had a policy about not flying with certain isobutane type fuel containers. Not sure if it was an FAA reg or what. Some air taxis followed it, some didn't. That was 2014 last I looked into it.
According to FAA rules, its not legal to fly ANY stove fuel. Its also illegal to fly: strike anywhere matches, butane lighters, bear spray and a few other things which escape memory. Punishable by a (up to) $25K fine. A lot of transporters will fly restricted items in the pontoons (float plane) and a lot more will simply ignore the "rules". All of this was explained to me by a FAA attorney when I was "caught" trying to fly with some strike anywhere matches and a butane lighter on a hunting trip to Kodiak.

I can't recall the specifics, but I do remember them strapping a few items to the outside of the plane or in the pontoons. Fuel seems to be the item that i recall.

According to FAA rules, its not legal to fly ANY stove fuel. Its also illegal to fly: strike anywhere matches, butane lighters, bear spray and a few other things which escape memory. Punishable by a (up to) $25K fine. A lot of transporters will fly restricted items in the pontoons (float plane) and a lot more will simply ignore the "rules". All of this was explained to me by a FAA attorney when I was "caught" trying to fly with some strike anywhere matches and a butane lighter on a hunting trip to Kodiak.
As i understand it those items are considered hazmat. They aren't illegal to fly with but it requires extra hoops for the air taxi. Some go through them. Some ignore them. Some won't let you fly with them. Best to just talk to your transporter about what they fly and be up front. An outfit i fly with sent out a list of approved iso-butance (FAA hasn't approved them all) this year. The pilot has to sign a form acknowledging they are cargo.

I've only had issues with iso at low temps. Depending on when you are going the North Slope might not be that cold.

You can fly with a gas stove as long as it doesn't have any odors of gas. I wash thoroughly the fuel bottle with hot soapy water multiple times and then leave the cap off.

From Alaska Airlines website: Camping equipment and fuel containers that once contained liquid fuel (e.g. camping stoves, portable heaters, and flammable liquid lanterns) are allowed as long as the fuel system is completely dry with no fuel remaining in the tank, hoses, or parts and no remaining fuel odor is evident. Any type of fuel is forbidden from transport in checked baggage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back