Alaska moose - OYOA style

So as I try to read though this whole thread...the original idea was to get to $4000 or less to do this, but what I'm reading and some of the info I have looked at for this it's more like 6-8 thousand?

I agree less than the 14-15 grand, but still breaks my bank unfortunately ...Can't wait to see you do it again and live vicariously though you Randy :)

Just depends on how much risk/reward you want out of the deal. You can hunt moose up here for the price of a plane ticket, a rental car, and a NR tag... but don't forget you have to get it home. :) You can hunt off the highway system and have a reasonable chance at a moose (more or less as reasonable as an elk in say Montana), but some prefer to hedge their bet since they're spending so much already, and spend a bit more to make "sure" they kill something. IMO its no different than those that use drop outfitters, or pay trespass fees down south.

For some reason when someone hunts Alaska, they put so much pressure put on themselves to succeed, that success becomes the number one driver for the hunt.

I've also never met more resident hunters in any state who automatically give up. The "defeatists" attitude runs rampant here. Residents generally automatically give up if the hunting might be hard, or they can't get their friggn ATV to it...

I know of a handful of places to kill moose off the highway, where your success would be just as good a a fly in trip, but you'll be packing them a ways. Most people can't or won't pack 450-500lbs of meat more than a mile. Ya know one of the 3 Alaskan moose hunting rules... Yet a lot of hunters have no problem packing an elk 3-6 miles... go figure. Alaska is no different than anywhere else, you have the ones who put in the effort and are successful, and then you have the rest of the crowd that makes up excuses for failure.

Today was the day for shipping production gear, some camp gear, and the inflatable raft. This type of trip is far more complicated than I expected, mostly the logistics of getting what you need for a hunt of this type and this remote.

There are two hunters and two camera guys. Twice the amount of camp gear, twice the amount of food. Not counting all the production stuff.

I am coming to the conclusion that if I were to do this again, I would drive. I would pool together with some other guys, making a group of three or four, and drive with maybe a tandem axle cargo trailer. I would wait until I had two weeks to do it. Even if I had lined up for transport to the bush, I would drive to the point of departure.

No doubt the budget is shot. Bambi is correct that it could be done for a lot less, both in terms of money and logistics. I had seriously considered doing it that way.

The reason I did it as a remote limited entry hunt, which instantly requires a transporter (more cost), is that I figure most viewers are going to do this once. Yeah, many hardcore guys will do it many times, but I suspect most will do it once.

If a viewer is going to do it once, I want to show it in a way that gives greater likelihood of success. Nothing is a guarantee, but talking to the biologist, this type of hunt has higher harvest rates.

I also want that person to experience some of the remoteness that can be found in AK, even though the energetic guy can find remoteness anywhere in AK, if he is willing to put in the work. I know we will see other hunters, which is fine. I don't expect to encounter near the hunters I have encountered in hunting river systems closer to the more populated areas of Alaska.

All the costs we incur will be the same as you incur with a fully outfitted hunt, just that we will be exchanging transporter costs for outfitter costs and guide tips. From what I have found in researching these areas, that is a difference of around $8,000 to $10,000, plus guide tip.

To me, cost is surely a difference we all consider when going self-guided rather than guided, but for most on this site, I think it is also just the pleasure of how a self-guided hunt comes together and unfolds; the fun of planning this hunt has been a big part of why I think we do these self guided hunts. When we are out hunting, I think the fun of being on our own and trying our own ideas, failing at some and succeeding at others, is a big part of why we do it this way.

No doubt it is a ton of work. Logistically, preparing, hunting, hopefully skinning and packing, and in getting everything back home in one piece.

For me, this is a hunt that my Grandfather always talked about. He lived in Alaska and spent time working out in this area. We had talked about doing a hunt like this some day. Someday never came, as he passed away almost three years ago at age 85. It will be fun to travel through some of the areas he talked about and to hunt in the same vicinity.

No doubt an AK moose hunt could be done for less. I think Bambi has shown with his moose hunt last year, just how it could be done for anyone willing to work their tail off and pack a lot of moose a long distance.

The idea of this hunt is not to show the least expensive moose hunt option in Alaska. When I started, I thought we could do it for much less than what it will eventually cost. The idea is to show an amazing experience in Alaska, in one of the best moose hunting regions, and try to keep it within the budget of a viewer willing to save for a few years to have that a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Time will tell whether we meet that goal, or not. Either way, it will be ton of fun trying.

Sighting rifles for the final time this weekend. Decided to bring a .308 and a .300 Win Mag. Will be trying the new Federal Premium Trophy Copper bullets on this hunt.

We fly out on the 9th, overnight in Fairbanks, then fly to Galena the morning of the 10th, meet our transporter and head the 120 miles up the river to our unit. Seems like never enough time to get everything prepared, no matter how much time you have.

Can't wait to read your updates! Been looking forward to riding along with you on this hunt. Good luck and be safe!

Best of Luck Randy! Nothing I enjoy more than a remote flyout hunt in AK. I was born there, and remember hunting caribou and moose with my family, and picking berries, for 1-2 weeks every fall until we moved to the Lower 48 when I was 12. Every time I go back brings back great memories.

For you guys wishing you could do this - you CAN. Let's say you could do a remote flyout moose hunt for $9k including all transport and taxidermy costs. Give yourself three years to save - that's $250 per month, and you've got it licked! Is saving $250 a month for three years worth realizing the dream of a lifetime?

Lots of ways to get there - cut some frills out of the budget, remove one significant monthly expense, or take a weekend 2nd job. You won't regret it, when you'ree on that plane headed for the Alaska bush!

Hey Randy,

Could you give an estimate for a group of two, driving to AK, and doing the same as you would?

MDhunter gave $9000 for everything- what would you expect to pay?

Hey Randy,

Could you give an estimate for a group of two, driving to AK, and doing the same as you would?

MDhunter gave $9000 for everything- what would you expect to pay?

You talking about doing a transported hunt to this unit? A transported fly-in hunt by a group like 40-Mile Air? A hunt from accessible roads type hunt?

Some have PM'd and emailed, asking if these costs we are incurring for a self-guided transported hunt are really saving any money compared to an outfitted hunt. Our transporter charges $4,000, per person. He is charging $9,000 for four of us, as two camera guys are non-hunters. In addition to the 120 mile boat ride with us and our gear, this includes boat and motor rental. And yes, it does include him coming back to pick us up ten days later. On top of that will be fuel costs for the boat.

Comparative prices for a guided hunt from outfitters who operate in these units.

$14,000, plus guide tips - http://www.koyukukriverguideservice.com/Hunt_Information.html

$14,500, plus guide tips - http://www.huntalaskawithus.com/Moose_Hunt_koyukuk.htm

$16,500, plus guide tips - http://www.alaskasport.com/guidedhunt.html

Guided hunts still have all the same costs for license, tags, airline to Fairbanks, transportation to Galena, meat care, etc. You will pay for your own food on a transported hunt, but since I eat whether hunting or at home, that cost is negligible. We will work our arse off, whether we shoot one or not.

Assuming guide tips are offset by fuel costs we will pay for our jet boat, the net difference really comes down to the delta between the stated outfitter fee and the $4,000 transporter fee. From this, we are saving between $10,000 and $12,500 per hunter.

Right now, our total costs are looking like this:

License - $100
Tag - $400
Transporter - $4,000
Airline to Fairbanks - $500
Round trip Fairbanks to Galena - $350
Freight for shipping gear to AK - $250
Motel in Fairbanks to/from - $200

That puts us at $5,800.

If we shoot something, that will be extra to get it from Galena to Fairbanks, then from Fairbanks to home. That cost is the same, whether guided or self-guided.

We had most the supplies and gear from other hunts. I have probably spent another $200 on specialty stuff I added for this hunt.

Obviously, this did not count camera gear and complications of filming. If we did not have two extra people in the form of camera guys and twice the amount of gear, we could have asked for a smaller boat from the transporter. Not sure a smaller boat would have much difference in transporter price.

This is over what I had originally hoped it would cost to make this hunt work. Like I said in previous posts, there are cheaper ways to do it. Many on this site can attest to other ways to do it.

But, considering we are going to one of the most desired moose hunting units in Alaska (maybe not one of the best, but certainly high demand), and we are going way the hell out in the bush, I think this is a pretty good episode to show that if a guy saved a few bucks, over the course of a few years, Alaska moose is certainly within reach.

Most guys will probably one do this hunt once, though I hope all will do it many times. I hope that showing it this way and adding some increased costs to get to areas with less pressure, higher moose densities, and older average age class, the extra cost and logistic headache for this once-in-a-lifetime hunt are worth it.

Now, if we go there and strike out, guys are going to call me an idiot for incurring this extra cost and logistical headache. I get called that name often, so that would be no big deal to me. But, I hope we have something to show for all of this when we get back on the 22nd.

My Alaska-based uncles invited me to join them on their annual boat-based moose hunt on the Tanana. With this hunt in the works, I declined. And, having been in their moose camp before, I know that very little of that hunt would be allowed on TV. Would be colorful and comical, but not quite what our sponsors and the network would look for. Excited to catch up with them in Fairbanks for a day.

What you are going to wind up with is one great adventure, and probably a couple of great shows. Here's hoping some moose wants to be a TV star.

Pretty much packed and loaded, waiting a morning liftoff. Just back from the range for one last session. Here is the final four-shot group from the .308 Howa. Shooting 180 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip. 100 yards with about a 5 mph cross-to-tail wind.

That'll do. The second shot made the first hole a little wider. Then things got out of hand, creeping up and left.

2012-09-08_10-04-28_473.jpg

You're all set! Best of luck, stay safe and come back with some great footage! Can't wait to read, hear about and watch this one unfold.

Sitting in Sea-Tac right now, waiting for connections. My mind is fretting as to what caused TSA to disassemble my entire airline rifle case and all contents therein. I watched through the glass as the lady took everything apart, inspecting the ammo boxes, ammo pouches, pulled off the scope covers, even took the foam out of the top and bottom of the case.

Not the end of the world, as she seemed to be trying her best to get it back to where it originally was. Until ......... , when she couldn't get the locks to close, she put all her weight on the top lid, then forced the locks, one at a time. When she couldn't get them all cinched, she opened them all, then started from the other end, doing the same drill, until she was finally able to force all four of them closed.

That case is such, that if you have everything lined up, the locks don't require too much force to cinch them down. That much force tells me she had something lined up wrong. Definitely going to check the zero on these rifles when we get to the bush. Frustrating to spend all summer getting scopes and loads perfectly dialed, then see the TSA version of the "Samsonite Gorilla" treatment applied to your airline case. Almost wish I had not stayed to watch.

I always separate the bolts from the rifles in those cases. I hope she put the bolts back in the case in the slots they go in. All I need is to get to the bush and have rifles with no bolts. :eek:

I am sure she has checked enough rifles, being in Bozeman, that she would not make that kind of a mistake. Calm down, Fin, calm down.

On a brighter note, the long-term weather forecast looks like perfect moose hunting weather. Partly cloudy, temps in the high 40s, with no chance of torrential rains as most other times I have hunted Alaska in September and October. I love hunting in those temps. Helps keep the skeeters down and the black flies are less of a problem when you are guttin' and gillin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back