Alaska Mnt. Goat?

wisconsinteacher

I'm dreaming of a mnt. goat hunt. I know that the season opens in August in Alaska, which would allow me to hunt without having to miss work at school. I believe that it is a random draw and you need an outfitter to apply (or give you his number) The biggest concern is that the fur will not be as nice as in the later months of the year, but the weather might be a little better for the hutn. Any tips/suggestions for someone looking into this hunt within the next 5-7 years?

You can hunt them on an OTC tag, a "registration" (basically OTC with limits on harvest) or random draw. Some seasons run into March. You can do a hunt in 3-5 days plus travel with the right guide, if time is a factor. The weather may be better in August, but they will be much higher as well. You could do a spring hunt on Kodiak over spring break, they are pretty reasonably priced. Weather in March is usually better than the fall.

You are correct, Aug 1st Goat do have short hair. But you are also correct in that it is much better weather than late Sept into Oct. But in SE Ak even August can be wet with no hunt days because of visibility. But the days have longer daylight hours. I've done plenty of August hunts where I was glad to be dressed like it was an Oct hunt. There are also more bugs to deal with in Aug. On more than one hunt I remember them being on the verge of unbearable. One season, in particular, was so bad with bugs the Goats couldn't even handle it, making for some very difficult hunting.

There is no draw required for most of SE or on the mainland out of Yakutat & Cordova. There is a draw local to the Ketchikan area.

Most of my early August hunters were like you, it fit into their schedule for one reason or another.

One thing to still keep in mind is even early season Mt Goat hunting is hard core. In order to have a good enjoyable successful hunt you must be on top of your game, mentally and physically. Train for the hunt and train hard.

@wisconsinteacher I haven’t done the Alaska hunt and don’t live there but I have been told that some of the glacier areas around Prince William sound have impressive hair on goats even in early season.

Some years ago I spent a week camped on a little mushroom of an island near Alaska’s Columbia Glacier. I was dropped off by boat with a sea kayak out of Valdez. I had my optics and enjoyed great goat watching.

Another time a friend was on fire to get some photos of Mountain Goats. I spotted about 8 on a big ledge. He looked at them, then went for it. I watched his assent. He got stopped by steep wall.

He could not see that all those goats were right above him, just 15 feet higher than he was.

Always best to hike real high and come down on them

All the info given so far is spot on. Another thing to consider is what you plan on doing with a goat if you're successful. Full mount, half mount, shoulder mount, euro skull and tanned hide? I just euro my goat skulls and have the hide tanned so I can drape it over a chair or railing. If I'm planning on a mount I love the long hair, if it's just going to be tanned, I much prefer the shorter softer hair. Just food for thought.

Any tips/suggestions for someone looking into this hunt within the next 5-7 years?
My tip, go ASAP. Prices aren't getting better and I cringe to guess what they may be in 5 - 7 years. Will you even have options in 5 - 7 years? Life and priorities change.

I have been blessed on unguided goat hunts, but glad I pulled the trigger on a couple guided hunts as well. At the time it was tough to pony up the money, but looking back, good decision (5k and 7k).

Find an outfitter and give him a call. Putting shit off rarely works out as planned.

My tip, go ASAP. Prices aren't getting better and I cringe to guess what they may be in 5 - 7 years. Will you even have options in 5 - 7 years? Life and priorities change.

I have been blessed on unguided goat hunts, but glad I pulled the trigger on a couple guided hunts as well. At the time it was tough to pony up the money, but looking back, good decision (5k and 7k).

Find an outfitter and give him a call. Putting shit off rarely works out as planned.

I agree with this 100%. I wish I would have gone up to chase dall sheep before life got in the way....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back