Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Alaska Float Hunt

Bdblankenship

Hello all,
I will be going back to Alaska this year for another DIY moose hunt. I own my own company and due to the work flow I only have a week for my Alaska hunt this year so I am going to fly instead of drive. I am renting a truck and floating down river in northern Alaska. The problem is I don't want to walk back 30 miles to the truck. Does anyone know of a company that picks you up and takes you back to your truck or rents out ATVs or other off road equipment relatively cheap. I had found a company that rents ATVs but its $180 a day which wouldn't be worth it to me since I only plan on actually using it for a total of an hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nothing says love like crisp, clean $100 bills. Stop by the local drinking establishments before you pull out of town like the VFW, American Legion, Elks, or Moose Lodge. Pay someone ten percent of the cash up front and the balance upon your pickup and delivery to your vehicle. Hell, throw in a $150 Walmart gift card and they will probably bring their whole, extended family to the pickup site.

Depending on someone that you picked up in a bar (and already gave money to) would be a last resort, in my mind. Check with the rental company, advertise on Craig's List or Alaska List, check with Uber. Consider hitch hiking.

I’d call a lodge or hunt transporter in the area. Our first float trip near Tok we had a ride lined up but gone done a few days earlier than anticipated. We hitchhiked to Tok to use the pay phone to call our ride. Alaskans are very helpful to people in need of help.

Welcome to HT... Best to ya! Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. It's on my bucket list.
Make sure to take pics and share your adventure.

When I was 16 I hitch-hiked across Alaska and I got rides from women traveling alone, elderly couples, and a drunk native. It's not like the lower 48 and I would hitch-hike. I've been planning a float hunt for decades and I think it's going to happen soon.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back