Alaska Fishing Can you Compete

ringer

I was there 30 years ago. Amazing place and the sockeye were everywhere. So were the bears. I have a photo of a huge sow charging me across the river with water flying. Next photo was grass as I ran off against the advice of the rangers. She had two cubs in the photo I didn't see so she went back to them. Rangers told us to lay down in a fetal position and cover our necks with our hands if we were charged. Not!

homers

I had campground reservation for Brooks in July but campground still closed and cancelled. My wife and I were really looking forward to it, Try again next year.

ringer

I hope you get to go. It is amazing to be that close to 20 or so brown bears. Every time you hook a fish one comes over and takes it away. Very cool place to see.

Salmonchaser

Living about 3 miles outside the park, their residents come visit us too. About 2300 hours last night. Damn bears are strong swimmers. He ended up on the dock and messing around one of the cabins. By that time I had a rifle in my hands but one of our guests got some good pics as we ran him off. I’ll attach those later today.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randi

if time permits, post the picture of the bears walking thru your camp and the nice catch of fish, please

Salmonchaser

Salmonchaser

Sockeye; Miss sugar pointing a grizz on our morning walk; Rainbow from the Alaknak last week; Arctic Grayling and Arctic Char a couple days ago and a couple young grizz out my kitchen window.

Panda Bear

Samonchaser : This is good to see. Glad you made it up there and hope everyone who had booked with you ended up showing up. The year was a bit scary for you for a while there. I can not imagine the cost of sending up that container and then sending it back without using the contents. Thank God that did not happen.

Fishing looks good. Nice coat on that spring bear. He will be few hundred pounds heavier before you leave.

i wondered if arson was the cause of the lodge burning down. The circumstances and timing are certainly suspicious, but the insurance company will do an investigation.

Anyway, congratulations on your season not being scrapped and have fun

Trial153

We were supposed to spend a week fishing this August before we flew out for our bowhunt, alas travel plans changed with the border closed. No we are juts flying into fairbanks.

Salmonchaser

Cheyenne,
I Got in a running battle with an honest 8 footer last night. He tried to take a bbq of a guests deck. Got him sprayed twice just about dropped the hammer on him but he turned and ran. Bastard came back at 0200, broke a cabin window and ran. Called the troopers, they thought this bear might get shot. I agreed. Had a 20 year truce since I had to shoot one, I’m done playing nice.
I’ll try to upload video later.

Panda Bear

Cheyenne,
I Got in a running battle with an honest 8 footer last night. He tried to take a bbq of a guests deck. Got him sprayed twice just about dropped the hammer on him but he turned and ran. Bastard came back at 0200, broke a cabin window and ran. Called the troopers, they thought this bear might get shot. I agreed. Had a 20 year truce since I had to shoot one, I’m done playing nice.
I say this knowing our location and hunting rights are a bit different, which I know you also know but others might not

He would have been dinner tomorrow night and we would have another hide for the sled, so its a good thing he was in your camp and not mine ;)

I remember that 45/70 you spoke about on the leven action thread and I am glad you took it and sugar up with you. She is a good bird/bear/companion dog :)

Off to work early tomorrow so take care and enjoy the fishing,

jabber

Cheyenne,
That's too close