Alaska Bird hunting...

Moosie

Grand poopa
Or also known as :

Willow Ptarmigan: (tar'-mi-gan) :Alaska's most sought after upland game bird is the Willow Ptarmigan. With the season traditionally opening on August 10th, Ptarmigan can be found in abundant numbers, which runs well into winter.

Someone give me the Scoop... I hear that they're there, but don't know anythnig about them.

Are they stupid like Ruffed Grouse ? Do they flush like Pheasant ? Are they different colors ? Do they really taste good ? Any limits ? what size SHOT ?

If you shot some give me a story and some pictures !! Or a story... Or make something up
wink.gif
wink.gif

Moosie, on both my trips to AK I saw lots of ptarmigan, they live everywhere from sheep country to the flat tundra.

When I was helping my buddy glass brown bears we saw large flocks everday. They were white and showed up pretty well while we glassed. I saw flocks with upwards of a hundred or so. Even glassed a big flock on a little Island on the lake we camped on.

I used 6 shot in my 12 gauge, but I'd think about anything would work. They arent real smart, but they arent a push over either, unless you want it to be. I found they liked to hold kind of tight in willow or alder patches. They arent real fast fliers but they are challenging enough that you still miss them. I had a ball shooting them and killed several. They are neat birds, I shot some that were just about all white and some that had brown in them. They're not bad eating, about like blue grouse.

I usually use a .22 to kill stupid chickens. You will more than likely see quite a few of them. They taste good but if you have a big appetite, better kill alot of them.

in some areas its 10/day 20 in possession, others are 20/day 40 in possession.
They flush pretty easy, they are definitly not the smartest birds out there.

My only thinking with the Shotgun or .22 is that I'm actually hunting 'bou at that time, BUT I'd like to have maybe one for the wall...

THANX GUYS !!!!!

If you want one for the wall, then just buy 1 already mounted here in town. They are about $100 for the bird (mounted). Go and wack some for the fry pan. We've bought a couple for some of Tammy's mounts. Its cheaper than having a bird stuffed.

I might do that.... BUT, It jsut seems weird mounting something that I didn't shoot
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BUT, I guess some of my duck mounts I might not have shot either, but I was at least out there when the Buddy shot one.

I might shoot a few for the pan then decide what to do on the mount. ya Can't beat $100. why will someone mount one that cheap but not you're for that cheap ? Seems weird ?

BUZZ, do you have a picture from AK with them birds, YOU always have awsome pics, I figure you'd have a bird picture lieing around ?!?!

Moosie,

Just go down to the park, and shoot a white pigeon, most people will not know the difference....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i-1.JPG

i-1.JPG

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-29-2003 23:27: Message edited by: Elkgunner ]</font>

HUMMM.. HERE is a few PICTURE s I found ...

_Ptarmigan_100.jpg

Ptar.Plane.jpg

they don't look that white ?

ALSO, that looks like an EBAY link when I do a property's on that picture.... WHAT are they going for on EBAY ?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, that was an E-bay link, and I just put another picture up in the original post.

The good looking, white bird is "Buy it Now for $99, with no bids at $59 starting price.

The Brown one is no bids at $10 starting price.

Here is an E=Bay story for you.... I decided I should buy something on E-bay, and figure out PayPal, before I start bidding on Swavorski glass.
So I find some auctions on Carabiners, and start watching them, and end up finding 3 from the same guy, who just happens to be in Boise. I win the auctions, and negotiate a combined Shipping charge. The Auctions close last Saturday, and here it is almost the next Sunday, and my $7 shipping has not made it 30 miles to my house yet. I am about to put some negative feedback in somebody's profile.....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

elkgrin.gif

LOL !!! FUNNY hting is, A buddy that I work with his Brother bought some stuff from UTAH from a Ebay deal from a guy in BOISE, The guy tried to UP his shipping charge which most people do and sell the item less and never pay a portion what they charge for shipping... BUT after the buy, HE didn't pay the $12 for shipping and MIKE picked it up and sent it to his brother for about $2... HAHA !!!

Anyways, Ebay is a good place, LAST week when we were on a roll I ended up buying like 6 different things .. from knives to HATS to a bivi cover for my bag... THEY all were sent fast and on time... I had no problems ?!?!

SUX to be U
wink.gif

From the few things I bought.. I got a few Remarks
smile.gif

gaitski(85) Mar-26-03 08:55:45 PST 2716244243 B

Praise : Hear ye hear ye, let it be known that moosieid is a wonderful merchant!

northern*expo(178) Mar-20-03 05:24:59 PST 2817399829 B

Praise : Prompt smooth transaction. Good ebayer. THANKS! A+A+A+A+

I am thinking there is probably a good reason, why the shippig from Boise to here is 7 days or greater. I even offered to pick them up in Boise, and he said no. Before I go flaming him, I'll wait a bit longer... It was only $22 for 11 Carabiners, and if I get them, that is actually pretty good. They are so handy for hooking stuff into the rafts.
smile.gif

I would be a bit more concerned, if it was the Swarvo's that I had won, and they were missing in the mail.
tongue.gif

elkgrin.gif

I actually had to go to Ebay and put "Carabiners" into the search to see a picture and KNOW what they were
smile.gif
smile.gif

GOOD luck to ya on getting them.....

I think on the Swarov's I'd buy the INSURANCE
smile.gif

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back