Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alakan Ulu?

BrowningBLR

With the "Alaskan Dream" frenzy taking over the networks, does anyone here use a Ulu? Pros/Cons? I'm failing to see the benefit over a knife.... but with that being said, if there is a benefit- I would be open to making life easier!

I brought some home after my last trip, my experience is great for vegetables not so much for meat.

I will stick to using a conventional blade.

I have one and sometimes use it for skinning. You're right though, there is no real advantage over a regular knife that I can see.

Have one on display within easy reach in the kitchen. Given that, I reach for a regular chef's knife every single time. Like most tools, if you use something long enough and become proficient with it then you'll have your preferences for that particular tool. I've watched AK Natives use ulus for cutting up salmon. They make it look easy. I've also visited a couple native fish camps where you won't see a single ulu in use. Just a matter of preference, I guess. I don't see any benefits of the ulu over a regular knife. Both have their traditional connections, both can get the job done in the right hands.

I have an Alaskan ulu and love it (mine is not a touristy decorative stainless steel ulu). I find it to more fluid, less arm movement, more wrist with arcing. Because of the curved symmetry of the blade you can switch cutting directions without changing position of your knife or of your body. Good for fleshing.

One drawback on mine is the spacing between the top of the blade and the antler handle - I have thought about boring out the rivets, increasing the length of the rods to the handle. I ordered mine from a guy that had the higher carbon steel I was looking for (from Alaska). I dont like the higher stainless that dont hold an edge well. Yes, it requires some maintenance, but the edge is great.

Another drawback is it is not a folding pocket knife or a longer sheathed knife, nor does it stab deeply. It is shorter, wider with wicked double pointy tips like a miniature Klingon bat'leth in reverse so the sheathing part is different. But those curved pointy tips are also helpful, like using them to "unzip" thinner skins. I used it in that manner with my goats/lambs and on young does, birds, just hook and pull. I wouldnt say an ulu is a replacement to other knives, just different.

And, my ulu is great in the kitchen. When I ripped my left rotator cuff, pec and arm muscles I was left one handed for many months. So I took a piece of 2" x 6" x 12" cherry wood, cut out a trough with the compound mitre saw that was about the same curvature as my ulu. This enabled me to cut many things one handed without them popping around and having to reposition a knife.

After watching that 8 minute game boning video someone posted here, I am trying to train my left to use the curved points of the ulu like his hook. Its taking some work. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back