Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

AK deer hunt ideas

Spitz

So, a friend of a friend lives in Sitka and has a boat. He's been kind enough to invite us up for some deer hunting, crabbing and fishing. The plan would be to get a forest service cabin and hunt from there with the boat. I believe the boat is docked in Sitka. Buddy went up for a trip a few years back and had a great time. They went in early December and cruised shorelines looking for deer. Hunting was marginal until the last day when a snow storm brought deer down and the hunting was great for a little bit. I believe the antlers were just starting to drop though as some came off when the deer began to get dragged a bit.

We can pick the time of year the hunt happens. I think it'd be a kick to hunt the deer in their alpine habitat earlier in the year, but hanging out eating shrimp crab and fish while cruising the shoreline doesn't sound so bad either.

I'm just the third or fourth wheel on the trip at this point but everyone is open to suggestions and willing to make the trip whatever we want as far as I can tell.

I know many of you have hunted deer up there. Any thoughts or suggestions as far as hunting style? Best practices for trophy hunting?

Hard to say "Trophy hunting" and Sitka (the town) in the same sentence. Baranof has some decent bucks, but I can't recall a book buck ever coming off of Baranof,expecially close to Sitka. (used to live there) Beautiful place, but trophy hunting takes place on Kodiak and Prince of Wales. (with a few areas outside those two places)

Good luck. Early Nov or Dec is your best bet for that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back