Against all odds: my 2023 season

I’m stoked for you. Whatever you decide to do for you and your family, it will be awesome. Take as many pictures as you can because you will most likely never have a fall like the fall of 2023!

Wow now that is some real luck in the draws. I've fed my wife the " once in a lifetime hunt" to many times now. So tread careful there. Man I'd have to take a serious look at leaving my job and picking back up where I left off after the trips. LOL Congrats!!!!

Enjoy that luck! What a fall on tap. Whether or not you turn any tags back, keep in mind if you're unsuccessful in Idaho, you can re-apply in a couple years. If you shoot one, then it goes Once In a Lifetime. Idaho folks, correct me if I'm wrong. With that in mind, hammer Colorado for that incredible Deer opportunity and for a Shiras. 44 is a good thought. Was in there last year with a friend during a snowy 2nd season. Unbelievable genetics and opportunity, but a lot more of the top end was shot with having 3rd/4th season conditions with 2nd season tag numbers. Would be curious to hear how it faired this winter, too.

@txco
I'm in your boat with tags this year (kinda), and had one foot in your moose boat last year. I'm not sure if you've hunted moose before, but it might not be easy to even logistically hunt 2 out of state moose in a season, let alone kill 2, or physically handle 2 (ask for aaalllll the help who is crazy enough to be there). I hunted 13 days in Idaho across 2 trips and didn't kill one. Reality of not filling that tag crushed me. I'm not telling you not to hunt both moose tags, but I'd probably set aside 2 weeks for each one, and prioritize the one you're most likely to be successful. As someone said, you can apply in Idaho in 2 years if you don't harvest.

Good luck!

FYI, I quit my job, in advance, partly to hunt my 3 elk tags and my bison tag this season.
giphy.gif

Didnt draw AZ sheep! Damn the luck
Well $hit, aren'y you unlucky. Have you made any of those "hard decisions" you spoke about earlier this month?
Keeping both moose tags?
Hiring outfitter?
Quitting your job come fall or will you have enough leave from work ?

Well $hit, aren'y you unlucky. Have you made any of those "hard decisions" you spoke about earlier this month?
Keeping both moose tags?
Hiring outfitter?
Quitting your job come fall or will you have enough leave from work ?

Im keeping both moose tags. Ive hired an outfitter for the Idaho moose. Im doing Colorado moose DIY with some friends. Ive been able to talk to previous tag holders and hunters for both and feel confident. Im not going to be picky either.

Not going to quit my job but hoarding PTO for the fall. Ive got ~3 weeks earmarked and might be able to add a couple more days. My wife is also working with me on doing family Thanksgiving in Colorado to keep hunting. I think Ive got it worked out as good as I can and will adapt with the weather. The only thing I dont think Im going to do is hunt the first week of September for deer in the high country like I originally planned.

Well, now that I have all 3 tags in hand and about a month out, I thought Id give a small update. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and knowledge from past hunts. Im incredibly excited to experience a lot of new things and places this fall that I never thought Id get to.

Tentative plan subject to weather and work is head to Colorado to hunt moose opening archery weekend for several days (September 9th). I have 2 friends committed to join and we've rented a house in the heart of the unit. They'll help spot, scout, fish and hopefully pack. Im planning to go a couple days early to scout. May peel off and check a high country muley unit I know well on the way too.

I've booked an outfitter for Idaho for the last week of September. If Im not successful in Colorado in early September, I'll head back there straight from Idaho and catch the rifle season.

For the muley, Im putting the majority of my time/focus into hunting the rut and migration in November. Pretty easy guess on where Im planning to be. I have started getting a few pics of big deer from people.

Its going to be awesome.

Just noticed this. I know a few people that have drawn and tried to hunt more than they could handle in a year, including me. 2 NR moose and a CO statewide deer permit maybe be longest odds I've heard of. I do know a guy that drew M, S and G all in the same unit, same year in 2012. I think the odds were 1 in 70K for that. Curious do you apply for dozens each year, everywhere? Good luck, have fun and remember not killing one won't make dent is the fun you'll get to have in 2023.

Just noticed this. I know a few people that have drawn and tried to hunt more than they could handle in a year, including me. 2 NR moose and a CO statewide deer permit maybe be longest odds I've heard of. I do know a guy that drew M, S and G all in the same unit, same year in 2012. I think the odds were 1 in 70K for that. Curious do you apply for dozens each year, everywhere? Good luck, have fun and remember not killing one won't make dent is the fun you'll get to have in 2023.

Yea the odds are pretty insane but Ive read a couple stories of even crazier draw years. My wife has been pretty supportive and Im going to give it my best shot. With the reality and liklihood of never being able to get any of the tags again, we decided to try our best. The worst thing that happens is I dont fill a tag and try again to draw when eligible. I wish Id have more time to devote to each tag, but Im happy to do what I can.

I think Ive exhausted my computer and TV researching, reading and watching videos. Im spending the next month on fitness and shooting.

As far as applications, I've been applying in Western states and sometimes Alaska since 2010 when I first moved to Colorado. I apply or build points everywhere except the Pacific coast states. These are the first random or OIL type tags I've ever drawn. I hunted Oregon once for a Roosevelt elk on a OTC tag and its the only guided hunt Ive done in the lower 48. I've hunted CO, MT, WY, NM, SD, and AZ all DIY. I have a small dream of hunting every Western state as some point.

As far as applications, I've been applying in Western states and sometimes Alaska since 2010 when I first moved to Colorado. I apply or build points everywhere except the Pacific coast states. These are the first random or OIL type tags I've ever drawn. I hunted Oregon once for a Roosevelt elk on a OTC tag and its the only guided hunt Ive done in the lower 48. I've hunted CO, MT, WY, NM, SD, and AZ all DIY. I have a small dream of hunting every Western state as some point.
I have the same dream except I'm just going to skip Montana. Or at least Montana big game. All I hear is doom and gloom and how it's just all forkies and people on overcrowded public lands. You people and your strategy of blasting those stories and thoughts into my head has worked if that was indeed your plan! I'm just like you and have hunted 6 of them so far. 6 to go.

Back