Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Against all odds: my 2023 season

txco

On March 8th, just after my second son’s one month birthday, I was feeding him a bottle and deleting spam voicemails from unknown numbers when one stood out from the rest. It was the Colorado SCI chapter calling to tell me Id won the raffle for the 2023 Colorado state wide deer tag or also know as the governors tag. I was ecstatic and didnt know what to do with myself. All my previous hunts with the exception of 2 muleys in New Mexico had been planned around points and draw cycles. I thought I had a good plan in place to hunt hard but not overburden my wife as we have 2 boys under age 3. In fact Id thought I was possibly taking the fall off from hunting just to help out. Id only put in for lottery tags or points so far this year.

Then on May 19th I was on an annual bible study retreat with my wife when I got a congratulations email from Idaho telling me Id drawn a Shiras moose tag and am going on my first moose hunt. After laughing uncontrollably for a few minutes I went to tell my wife.

Her response was “you cant draw two once in a lifetime tags in the same year. Thats not the definition of once in a lifetime.”

Well, here goes what will be an epic fall.

Edit: Well I went to pay my credit card bill and saw a pending charge from CDOW for $2,554. Looks like I drew a second shiras moose tag this season. Unit 15/27. I had been joking with my buddies about drawing this tag this year on top of everything else. Wish me luck talking to my wife.

So now its three once in a lifetime tags in one season!

Last edited:
It seems like governors tags can be a trigger word in the hunting community these days. Its one of the reasons Ive reached out privately to folks but not been public on my luck. Ill say I bought $100 in raffle tickets for this deer tag, the same as I did with RMBS for the sheep and goat raffles.

I talked extensively with the SCI chapter after I drew. They sold 2,454 tickets and raised a little over $47,000 for the deer tag. In total they raised $237,000 for conservation that night. A pretty good night for wildlife.

See all the lucky winners here- https://scicolorado.org/

I used to live in Colorado but now live in the oilfield in West Texas. You'll see Im the only NR who won a state wide tag that night for what its worth. A colorado deer tag was also auctioned in February and went for $170,000. This year was wild in the auctions as I believe Utah and Arizona deer tags both went over $500k.

The only context my wife has understood on the value and desirability of this governors tag is that someone was willing to pay $170,000 for it. She asked if I could sell it and book a private land hunt. The tag is nontransferrable and we both agreed Id be cheating myself out of an amazing experience. Colorado does have stipulations on how much money goes to the state and how its used from these tags but Im no expert on the matter. Im sure others can chime in based on RMBS ticket sales.

Ill say this, I was never going to draw a premier Colorado deer tag based on point creep, was never going to pay for a big private land deer, and obviously never buy an auction governors tag. So Im very thankful and blessed to have this opportunity.

Man you must be living right! I know the challenges of trying to raise two kids, keep the wife happy, and squeeze in some hunting. Glad mine are out of diapers! Excited to see what you turn up. So what's the rules on the deer tag? Do you have to pick a hunt code or is it good for any unit any season?

Ill post a link to the rules and all the facts on the Colorado auction/raffle tags below but the general summary is I can hunt continuously with any weapon from Sept 2 - Nov 30 West of 25 and Oct 1 - Dec 31 East of 25.

I have to alert the local office and game warden with my plans ahead of time. So far with all the challenges Colorado has faced with this winter and at the recommendation of some folks, Ive held
off reaching out and distracting the biologists.

Wow holy chit bud! good luck!!! I hope over a little time, she’ll come to really understand how important this is to any sportsman, and that her support is paramount to your success as well. I know my wife would be pissed at me haha

Id originally planned on trying to draw a high country archery hunt in Colorado this year. I was borderline on points for deer but knew I should get an elk tag. Luckily I found out about the tag before submitting my application.

With this tag in hand, my buddy and I put in for an elk archery hunt that can hold big deer above timberline. I know the unit and area well, having hunted it several times with a bow. We were planning on going opening week and Id carry a gun for deer and a bow for elk. Ive always been obsessed with velvet muleys and the high country. The thought of being able to find a big velvet deer and rifle hunt above timberline is pretty cool. Ive got one archery velvet buck to my name and 5 mule deer total.

The alternative and second plan is to hunt the rut and migration in central Colorado primarily unit 44 when the general seasons are closed. Ill never be able to draw this hunt and have always wanted to experience that type of hunt. My family is also talking about spending Thanksgiving in the I70 corridor just to get more time in the field if I need it. Last year was a great one in 44 and all my research keeps taking me back there. Again, Ive never looked into CO 3rd and 4th season hunts before so Im still trying to gather information or learn. This is also where my gear is questionable as Im primarily a bowhunter so Im usually in the field in September.

My biggest buck to date is 155”. Im not trying to break any records this year, just find a big buck with lots of character. My big goal is break the magical 200” mark and realistically Id be happy falling short but with a good experience with how divided my time will be. Obviously big deer can be any where in Colorado, but Im trying to focus on either areas I know or have a proven history.

Last edited:
Drawing my moose tag has made me rethink my deer plan. I was originally planning on two weeks or so of vacation spent chasing deer in Colorado split between the early season and the rut just to try and get the full experience. Im planning on not making the early season Colorado deer hunt now unless I peel off a couple
days while on the road to Idaho.

My wife and I both work and we have 2 young kids. We’re having some serious heart to hearts about how much vacation I can use and the amount of time away from the family. Some things and trips we were talking about are probably going to be sacrificed or pushed another year. I’ve also been talking to some guides for both hunts since Ill have even less focused and more divided time than I thought. I really want to do these tags justice and make memories for a life time. Ive spent years dreaming of good hunt opportunities and now have the chance to far surpass them.

Last edited:
Ive never hunted moose before. Ive seen a ton while hunting elk and fishing. In fact, I saw more bull moose than bull elk on my last Colorado elk hunt. So I have a lot to learn. Trying to learn about the moose rut and timing my hunt around it is my biggest goal right now. Im blessed with a long season but it gives me that many more options to consider. I started another thread on the moose forum which inspired this thread.

Go like September 25-oct 5 or even better the 10th if you can then you’ll have the rut covered

Go like September 25-oct 5 or even better the 10th if you can then you’ll have the rut covered
This is good moose advice plus you generally will avoid elk and deer hunters in the woods. The only thing they’ll help with is maybe giving you moose sightings, but I would personally rather have less people in the woods

So I just drew a Colorado moose with 3 + 6 points in unit 15. This fall just got even wilder.
Hey, I KNOW that unit x2 for cow moose 2015 and 2022. But maybe you have a bull tag? You have all of 15&27 to hunt. Happy to share some ideas and advice…including Do NOT DROP ONE IN A POND!

Kill your Colo Moose, drop at a meat processor and proceed to ID?

IMG_3850.jpeg

Below is the more proper ending to a cow moose hunt if you ask me.
IMG_4937.jpeg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back