After the shot...

AH64DMatt

As I prepare to move from the deep south to Arizona and get excited for beginning western big game hunting, I've been trying to find more information on the process of quartering and packing out the meat. I've never done longer-range spot and stalk hunting (mostly from a tree stand, or spotting/stalking a short distance from the vehicle).

Obviously, Youtube has been very educational, but it mainly covers traditional quartering, and very little about the entire process after the shot. The only stuff you see on hunting shows is the shot. I'd really like to know what people do from after the shot, till stocking the freezer...

If anybody can share their favorite technique for quartering/packing the meat, particularly oriented for 1-2 hunters, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Matt

Do some searching on the "gutless" method. Once you've done it a few times you won't ever want to mess with traditional field dressing again. I use it even when I shoot the animal in a spot where I could pull right up to it with a vehicle. I butcher all my own animals so they are going to have to get quartered up anyway so why not do it on the spot.

Sometime I will have to either take a video or more pictures of it because people are always asking about it, especially getting to the tenderloins which sounds hard, but in practice it is relatively easy.

Do some searching on the "gutless" method. Once you've done it a few times you won't ever want to mess with traditional field dressing again. I use it even when I shoot the animal in a spot where I could pull right up to it with a vehicle. I butcher all my own animals so they are going to have to get quartered up anyway so why not do it on the spot.

Sometime I will have to either take a video or more pictures of it because people are always asking about it, especially getting to the tenderloins which sounds hard, but in practice it is relatively easy.
The Gutless method is the way to go!!

The Coast Range is a long way from Arizona, but since I tend to hunt a long way from the truck and down in some holes I would expect getting meat out is about the same. I always have my pack frame in the truck. My hunting pack has a deer bag (big enough to cover a deer in case I need to leave it in the woods over-night), and a block and tackle to make hanging easy. I can usually find at least three trees of sufficient length and straightness to cut and build a tripod to which I attach the block and tackle. If I intend to pack the meat out that day the deer is gutted, hung, skinned and covered, then its off to the truck to dump off my excess gear, the head (because that is proof the deer is mine) and get the pack frame. If the pack out is an easy one I just cut the deer in half and if I'm by myself I take the front half out first because its the heaviest. If you've got help the front half goes with your buddy because he probably thinks its lighter than the back half. Of course if hunting the desert there aren't a lot of trees for hanging a deer/elk, but Arizona isn't all desert. If there are no trees present you could take a tarp along and do your cutting up on the ground. The main thing is to keep the meat clean, get it cooled off, and get it home. Happiness is heavy backpack.

Once you go gutless, you never go back. Just make sure you don't break the animal down more than the local game laws allow.

Good luck on your move and future hunts

Start with deer, then move to elk #1. Which season you hunt (early or late) will determine to some extent what you do, what you need to carry with you, and your approach.

After the shot, and your game animal is down - that is when the work begins, as they say. I hunt with, and pack everything on my back (frame pack). I/we hunt public land, walk-in areas, and for 15 years I have brought animals back to the meat pole in quarters. When brown goes down, it is quartered and cooling. Hide on, hide off or boned out?, I am not sure exactly which is best as I have done them all.

Having a friend will certainly help to make the situation a little less intimidating if you have a
650lb animal laying there.

It used to be for quartering I carried the following : sharpener, 2 knives, cord, game bags, Wyoming saw, tarp and a couple wet wipes. Now, 1 knife gets me through an entire elk. If I have a cow tag, the Wyo saw stays in camp.

Get the animal to the most level ground possible.

From there, dig in baby. (You will get better with experience.) The front quarters peel off real easy. Whack it off and drop them in game bags. The back legs are big, heavy and the difficult part is finding the ball joint. Once you have that 'popped', it is just working through the rump meat. The back straps are right on top, and it is basically like filleting a bass or crappie (deep south). Once all the big stuf is out of the way, move to neck, tenderloins and rib meat.

It used to be that quartering/boning took 3-4 guys 2 hours. Now, it is a 30 minute job for 2 guys given the animal is not buried down in some deep,dark hole. The gutless method works well. And like I said, try and practice with deer before you lay down an elk. Good luck and good hunting.

+1000..Couldn't agree more. I have gutted my last animal. Once you do a couple of critters, it will be a breeze.

I don't even leave the meat on the bone. Bone everything on-site and drop into game bags.

AZ Game & Fish Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I bone out my big game animal?

Yes, but ARS 17-309-A5 states that it is unlawful to knowingly permit an edible portion of game animal to go to waste. Therefore, all edible portions of game meat would have to be brought out, no matter how many trips it takes. This goes for bears and mountain lions, too. Also, Commission Rule R12-4-302 gives the location that permit-tags may be attached to big game animals. With javelina, bighorn sheep, bear or mountain lion the permit-tag must be sealed through the gambrel of the hind leg. With deer, elk, or antelope the permit-tag can be sealed around the antler or horn, or through the gambrel of the hind leg. ARS 17-309-A20 states that it is unlawful to possess or transport the carcass of any wildlife which cannot be identified as to species and legality. With javelina, bear, or mountain lion bringing out the hoof or paw, the head or at least several inches of hide to show what species you have is acceptable. With bighorn sheep the horns would have to be brought out. In Arizona we do not have buck and doe hunts; we have antlered and antlerless or any deer hunts. Because of this, the antler with part of the skullcap with several inches of hide in front of the antlers attached must be brought out. If the deer is antlerless, then the top portion of the skullcap must be brought out. The same would apply for elk, but no hide would have to be attached in front of the antlers. With an antelope, the head would have to be brought out, so the length of the ears can be measured against the horns.

I have never used the gutless method, as it appears it would be time consuming to get the rib meat out without cutting the stomach. Do you guys take the rib meat? I am just curious because in AZ you have to take the rib meat. The gutless does appear to be the way to go if you are in the back country & you are not required to take the rib meat.

I do take the ribs on pigs where the ribs aren't shot up. Really pretty easy.

Here's a picture with all the meat removed from the first side of a pig including the ribs.

piggie_half.jpg

That picture really helps folks with pig anatomy too. The lungs are really small on a pig and tucked right up under the front leg. The heart is really low and under the front leg too.

You would probably need a saw to remove the ribs on anything elk sized or larger, but for pigs and deer you can get it done with a sharp knife and some brute force.

Texas has a wierd law that you can't remove the bones from the quarters, and I know in Wyoming you have to leave evidence of sex attached to one of the quarters so it is really important to know the specific state laws where you will be hunting.

Gutless rib roll. The only way to fly. Start from the back and skin the ribs so to speak. Comes off in one solid chunk. Far easier than you would believe.

Attachments

• P1010695.jpg
    P1010695.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,273
Start at the back and just start skinning like it was hide. It didn't seem possible when we first heard about it either. It works slick. Should have taken a picture of the hunk, it was one solid piece.

I remember at the front of the rib you had to turn the knife back into the rib it to make sure you didn’t cut it off.

Matt,

I'm sure you are propably going to use the gutless method as descrived above but If you go the traditional method there are several videos from Outdoor Edge that take you through the process that I have seen at sporting goods stores. Its definetly something to think about before you go shoot something. Last year I watched a guy in a motel parking lot in Buffalo, WY botch an antelope, it was embarassing to watch not to mention propably poisioning his familly with contaminated meat. My 2 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back