Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Affordable GPS Units?

Ben Lamb

SWMBO is asking what I want for Xmas. First thing that popped in to my head was a gps unit. Seems like they would be a handy little tool rather than just heading up or down. :D

Any recommendations on units under $250? Looking for something that will allow for comp/gps interface and can handle downloadable topo maps. Never used one other than the Garmin in the car, which luckily got stolen.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Go to the garmin website and use their side-by-comparison tool to compare the lower end units that do have a microSD slot. that is important for fitting big map files on the unit.

Personally I would up the cost limit to $330 or so and buy a bargain priced garmin 450 (not the 450t) Can get at Walmart online for $320.

But considering you have never used a handheld GPS before, be honest about whether you would use all the bells and whistles versus a very cheap and very functional unit that does not do all the mappping. It takes a lot of time and burns up some brain cells to utlize the nicer units fully. Some guys are just not going to actually use them as intended. Be honest about what you REALLY would do with it before buring the cash on one. If you are serious about using a mapping unit, find someone who has one and try it out in earnest and try the map loading/unloading process for yourself?

I'm all about cheap and functional. Non-profit isn't just a job; apparently it's a way of life. :)

I'm happy to keep using USGS maps, etc. Was mostly thinking about plotting way points and making sure I don't get myself so lost I can't get back to the camp, or for marking animals, etc.

I'll check out the garmin site, thanks!

I have a Garmin Summit and a Legend. Both are identical, other than one has an electronic compass, which I've never used in 3 years. One has internal memory so you have to dump the maps you want to it each time if you go to a diffrent place, the other has a mico SD card. Both are the new high sensitivity version so they work well in the trees, and in the car.

To be honest I don't use mine much, and couldn't see spending more than $250 on one either... Both of mine were gifts. :) They're handy to have when you need one, but I've gone on trips for a week and never turned it on other than to mark camp.

I have a Garmin Vista Hcx (Same as legend Hcx only with compass and barometer which I have not used). Nice little unit and I recommend. DeLorme makes a good unit as well...maybe better but the thing about the Garmin is you can get free maps online and load them up up on your micro SD card.

It is my opinion to get either the Legend or Vista and use it. Then figure out what features and things you want and upgrade if you feel the need. There is a good grey market for these units so you won't get stuck.

Garmin is the best imo. I use the 60csx. I rely on it! Use it in the boat on the o cean, in the air and when hunting. They are being replaced by the 61 but are still available at half price online. I'm thinking of buying a couple more for spares.

I have a Garmin Summit and a Legend. Both are identical, other than one has an electronic compass, which I've never used in 3 years. QUOTE]

How come you don't use the electronic compass? I think that is the greatest feature!

Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back