Caribou Gear

Advice

Seksbowhunter

Hey all, first time poster here. I know this is the place that I can get some real honest advice. I have become obsessed with going out hunting pronghorn! I was supposed to go this year but got sidelined by an unexpected blood clot in my leg. I am already planning for next year. I live in Kansas and can buy an archery tag over the counter.

I have looked up the top entry counties from pope and young and Boone and Crockett. They show the same county

My request from you all is this, I need some of your knowledge to know how to go about looking at a map to locate a good spot to start when I go out to western Kansas.

Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum! I am looking at a first time 'lope hunt in the future too so I am not an experienced speed goat hunter. But I can give you a few general tips:

1. Invest in some type of GPS application or chip for your GPS that shows public and private land. OnXmaps (huntinggpsmaps.com) is a sponsor here and highly recommended.

2. Determine if there is public land to hunt in the unit you want to go to. I dont know if it is the same as elk or not, but many times the very best statistical units are dominated by private land/leased land guided hunts. Make sure you have a place to go.

3. Off topic, but do you understand your likelihood of getting a license for that area? There has to be a reason it is the best and again, if it is like elk, it may be hard to draw that area. Have a backup plan.

4. So now you know you have a tag for and area and you know there is public land. How about access points to the public land?

5. Google Earth is your friend. Look at the area every which way.

6. Scout it out. Nothing replaces actually seeing it.

7. There is a reason this is the best place to harvest B&C bucks. I would bet there is a hurdle somewhere to overcome.

Thanks. Since I'm a resident of Kansas I can purchase an archery rag over the counter. Archery season hits right on the rut. And there is plenty of public ground to hunt. I'm looking at google earth but having trouble focusing in on specific terrain traits that I should key in on.

I would look for water. Stock ponds, windmills and other sources of water make good places to set up a blind for antelope. Then spend some time in the field verifying what you find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back