Caribou Gear Tarp

Advice on purchase of range finder

I have owned both Leica and now currently a Leupold. Both work for what they are intended and I am confident enough in the Leupold not to go back and spend extra $$'s on another Leica.

I have a Leupold RX-1000i TBR, it is good, but ranging coyotes in the snow past a couple hundred yards didn't work too well. So I went REALLY expensive and bought a GSeven. Probably overkill, but I can range almost anything farther than I can shoot. I love it, and don't have to worry about getting a range on coyotes anymore!

I have a Leupold RX-1000i TBR, it is good, but ranging coyotes in the snow past a couple hundred yards didn't work too well. So I went REALLY expensive and bought a GSeven. Probably overkill, but I can range almost anything farther than I can shoot. I love it, and don't have to worry about getting a range on coyotes anymore!

I've thought about one, is it as heavy as it looks?

I bought the bushnell G-Force 1300 with Arc. I have been using it for about a year now and seems to pick up just about anything I point it at inder 1000. I also like that it is the red LED's as opposed to the black that can be difficult to see sometims. Includes many other features such as calibrating it to your rifle and knowing holdover in inches or minutes.

So far I like it. especially for the $$

If I were in the market again I would buy the same one.

i got the nikon 1200 for antelope,,,have been able to range out to about 900 with it,it has a little bit larger laser optic to get out further but it is a little larger than the nikon 800 size but not bad.

I'm looking for some advice and/or support on a Vortex Ranger 1000. In the 2 season's i've had it I have not had as much trouble as i did with it this week. I was on an antelope hunt in SW Montana and could not get it to consistently pick up on distances past 250 yards.

The conditions were extremely flat ground, short sage (less than 10"), light colored grass and fairly warm temps (35f - 55f). I had it on the HCD mode, which I am now reading the instructions about the LOS function.

Did I just blow it and not have it on the right mode? Guessing ranges definitely is my weakness, I could not connect on half a dozen occasions. Help?

Maybe I should clarify, I own the Vortex Ranger. I thought it got good reviews, but that flat land performance has me wondering.

Leica 1600
I had the Leica and the Leupold a few years ago. Leica was clearer and has worked great for a bunch of seasons now.
My .02 - just get the best one you can afford. Lecia 1st, Leupold 2nd, Vortex and Nikon battle for 3rd and 4th place IMO

+1 for the Leica (Geovids).

I have and still own Geovids. That being said the performance in my testing resulted in the RX1000 coming out way ahead of the Geovids. I have the second version of geovids so i am not sure if they have improved.

Back