Advice for MT elk scouting with Onx

Rawmeat

Hi everyone, I have been lingering here, but this is my first post.

2018 will hopefully be my first year hunting elk. My hunting buddy and live in western North Dakota and are putting in for the general big game combo tag. We plan to archery and rifle hunt and will likely be able to get out there for six days at a time, a couple times during archery season.

I have pretty much narrowed down our hunting area to the central state area somewhere between Great Falls, White Sulphur Springs, and Helena. Mainly because it seems like this general area has good elk population and is a little closer to us than other parts of the state.

I have been using Onx maps to figure out some specific areas to hunt. We hope to get out there and do some actual scouting with feet on the ground in August, but I need to get some ideas of where to start with electronic scouting. Honestly, I am a little lost and having trouble sorting out what might be a decent area to check out. I have listened to a lot of advice on things to look for, but when I am looking at the google earth overlay I have trouble visualizing these differences. I can see the obvious things like where there are lots of trees, or steep canyons, but when people talk about looking for water sources or specific types of terrain it is lost on me. We are planning on back packing so the water source thing is important for us as well. I see a lot of things labeled on the map as this or that creek, but most look dry to me. Any advice on finding water sources on electronic maps?

I am also having trouble with roads and trails. I am looking for areas that have some decent roads, but really don't like the idea of 4 wheelers buzzing all around me. I know everyone says this, but we would prefer to be able to hike in at least a couple miles from roads. Using Onx maps some of the trails are noted with dotted lines, but it looks very messy.
Is there any way to know what is motorized and what isn't? Or if you are in a motorized area, is it kind of a free for all on the trails? Is there a better source than Onx to find the trail heads?

I am sure all first time elk hunters have an ideal hunt in their head that doesn't really exist. I am trying to keep my expectations realistic for two first timers, but I am also putting as much work in as I can to increase chances at success. If I am hunting in a district that allows cow harvest my arrow will be flying if I get a chance at one. Above all else we want to get into elk to gain experience. At the same time I have heard stories from friends about lines of trucks parked along the road with everyone going in at the same herd of elk. We have no desire to hunt like that.

Any general advice for a couple first time elk hunters with our expectations is appreciated. If I am way off base with my thoughts, let me know. If you would rather send a pm than say something publicly that is fine.

Check the Nat Forest MVUM maps. Onx has them in the national layer or better yet get them on the avenza maps app. That will tell you what roads are open to what travel at what dates.

Check the Nat Forest MVUM maps. Onx has them in the national layer or better yet get them on the avenza maps app. That will tell you what roads are open to what travel at what dates.

Wow, silly me. I hadn't even looked at the national layers. That helps immensely, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back