Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Advice for bringing a first timer-WY

I havent been to the main areas you mentioned so cant comment, but i would avoid anything near the Bigorns for antelopes. Very, very sparse.
Now for scenary, wow, the Bighorns is amazing

Antelope hunting near Laramie would not be the best use of your PP but some nice ones can be found, my book buck is from right near town. Some terrain too for stalking, not all is flat but lots of areas are.
You have options for lodging in Saratoga, from nice to older and clean but cheaper, not cheap.
Sage grouse can be hunted very easily without a dog, blue grouse as well. In 32 years we have never used a dog on either and find and take some almost every year.
I can give you some areas around Saratoga to find them.
You can also catch a tiger trout near Saratoga, not as lot of places to catch them.

Laramie now has many breweries, The LIbraray, Coal Creek, Altitude, Bond's and Accomplice. Would have recc. the Rib and Chop house for a steak but recently talked with someone who cooked there for a bit, not a fan of microwaved food so steaks are not an easy find in Laramie at a restaurant.
Good fishing without a float trip but you should take one if you have time, either in Saratoga or up near Casper.

Noticed some changes to cow elk licenses proposed, if you archery hunt then some areas would have cow to pursue on public lands before rifle season opens.
Pronghorn season is a good time to venture up into the mountains and listen to the elk bugling, can be done from a road.
Thanks Wytex. Sounds like some great input. I might hit you up on the blue grouse info. I’m thinking we also try to get a float trip in as well. I love to hunt elk as well, so we might have to turn this into a two week trip...lol

Yep. Definitely Saratoga. I've always stayed at the Silver Moon before we bought our land near Saratoga, but there's lots of camping options there too if you wanna save money.

Once you get to the scouting phase, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've hunted one area in particular near Saratoga for years for pronghorn between my wife, myself, dad, brother, and brother and father in law, and may be hunting there this year depending on how the draw shakes out. You may be hunting a different area though, but feel free to reach out either way.

Yep. Definitely Saratoga. I've always stayed at the Silver Moon before we bought our land near Saratoga, but there's lots of camping options there too if you wanna save money.

Once you get to the scouting phase, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've hunted one area in particular near Saratoga for years for pronghorn between my wife, myself, dad, brother, and brother and father in law, and may be hunting there this year depending on how the draw shakes out. You may be hunting a different area though, but feel free to reach out either way.
Appreciate that.

Good info. First post for me. I appreciate the advice too. I’m taking my kid to WY this year for pronghorn. I’ll be driving there across the country and we’ll be sleeping in my campershell. Love those kind of trips.

Good info. First post for me. I appreciate the advice too. I’m taking my kid to WY this year for pronghorn. I’ll be driving there across the country and we’ll be sleeping in my campershell. Love those kind of trips.
Welcome!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back